Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Batterys and preamps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davidoc, Sep 19, 2002.

1. For marching band, I'm going to used my Ampeg SVP preamp plugged into the school's 100watt powered PA cab. The whole thing is on wheels with a 250w battery with two outlets. Can this damage my preamp? It works ok. It's simulated AC, but I'm a little worried.

2. Knack

Knack

Mar 25, 2002
    New York City
    If you attempt to march with all that I would imagine something would get damaged.:D

3. It *might* damage your amp. Battery converters often use square waves to convert the DC from the battery to 110 volts AC. Some (more expensive ones) use true sine waves. Those are much better, producing an even better sine than a wall outlet.

Try to be cautious of hum or sizzling.

4. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Dublin
    To add a little to Joris's last comment , the square wave will often be quite noisy as it's formed by a Fourier transform process.

Bottom line is that it shouldn't do any damage, but I'd be tempted to ask the school/ marching band to underwrite any issues that may happen.

Andy