Battle Crickets: Help-Infestation

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SnoMan, Nov 1, 2005.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Ok guys, I need some help.

I have some sort of infestation.

First I saw kinda didn't bother me. Then I saw a second, that dude freaked me out a bit. Since then I saw up to 4 on separate occasions. Then last night, I went into the kitchen to grab a couple of cold adult beverages....

And there I was. Face to face with 4 of these hell daemons. I almost paniced...but lucky I've learned to keep my cool. I observed the beasts for a moment, and then went on about my business. I knew I was outnumbered....this wasn't the time to be a hero

moving on

I call them battle crickets.

They're big - 1-2 inches
    They are fast....difficult to crush
    They just high and far...see last point
    They're exoskeleton is jagged.
    They have 6 long legs.

I'm not having any luck with finding info on them. I think I'll try and take of pic of them tonight. I don't think they're crickets at all...but I have no real idea.

I'm starting to appreciate these little dudes now. They are rather cool. They don't bother me as much as they could, because they don't seem to have made it upstair to my bedroom yet.......yet

If I can only train them to attack people at my command...I'd be in good shape

I can't afford to call an exterminator, so that isn't an option
  2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Those would be Sprickets. They are like spiders and crickets, hence the nickname. They jump insanely high and far and multiply very quickly. I live in Maryland and my basement is full of them. I asked my brother in law, the pest control salesman, and he said that the stuff you can buy at a store to get rid of them is the same stuff the pros use. Hit up the local hardware store if you want to battle them.
  3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    For your viewing pleasure, the SPRICKET:

Camel Crickets

Camel crickets are tan, humped-backed, and have a body length of about 3/4 inch. Unlike field crickets, camel crickets are wingless. Camel crickets (also known as cave crickets) are found in cool, damp, and dark areas. Outdoors, they are often found under logs and stones and they feed on plant debris. Camel crickets are not attracted to light. When they enter homes, camel crickets search for conditions similar to their outdoor environment, which often leads them to basements and other dark areas. Indoors they sometimes feed on paper products. They seldom chew fabrics.

Attached Files:

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun

Cricket elimination is best accomplished by combining a good residual spray with a professional bait. Spray is to be used indoors and outdoors, baits are placed in hiding places where sprays cannot be used but where crickets can be found. Baits can also be used outdoors.

Odorless insecticide spray products such as Permethrin Pro or Suspend SC are best for long term control. Choose the size or formulation that best suits you. Spray outdoors around windows, doors, vents, weep holes, plumbing lines or other possible entry points. You also need to spray a band around the structure, three feet high and to the ground (on your exterior walls) as well as a six foot swath on the ground. This will create a barrier that not only kills existing crickets and other insect pests but also prevents outdoor bugs from becoming indoor pests. To help eliminate crickets from attics, basements or cracks and crevices, Maxforce FG Granular Bait or Baygon Bait are recommended. Baygon Bait is best for large jobs, Maxforce FG is best suited for smaller jobs. Maxforce FG and Baygon Bait are best applied using the Crusader Duster. This handy duster allows you to effectively penetrate insect hiding places with baits or dusts.

If you do not feel comfortable using a spray, you should used Baygon Bait around the outside perimeter of your home and also apply the bait to cracks and crevices indoors, attics, basements, crawlspaces and other hiding places.
  5. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

Thats one of the little SoB's

When I looked up cricket stuff on google I found an illustration of a camel cricket, looked kinda close, but by that pic I can tell that that is the little bugger.

I'm glad to read that they're pretty much harmless....doesn't appear that they damage anything really.

They just wanna hang.

Or they're trying to drink my beer..... :mad:
  6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    That would explain why there are so many in my house! :D
  7. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I think this is a sign that I need to clean my house

8. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Camel Crickets, AKA Cave Crickets.... One of my home pests as well in NoVA.

They crunch like a bastard, too.

Anyways. The post above doesn't mention Niban FG, another popular bait. The thing about baits is that it's not a contact poison - it's a food, that they eat and then die from. Since they eat and die, they can't build a resistance that I can tell.

These little guys also jump AT you, thanks to a malfunction built-in... their eyes are constructed in such a way that when they panic and try to get away from you, they actually jump toward you. Something like that. Fun fact, I know.

I hate them, myself.
  9. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Jumping at you

These little guys show no fear.

I was coming at one with shoe in hand. I swung, dude jumps left and then springs right up on my hand.

~when dealing with ugly jumping creatures they you think may bite you, them attacking you back and landing on your hand is not something you want to happen

He won that round.....

Then my female friend promptly smashed her with her boot, which was on.

I was impressed....what a woman
  10. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Fight back on their terms.
    Tail-less Whip Scorpions
    These insects are probably the scariest looking bugs on the planet. They have no venom, so beyond a little nip they are harmless to humans. Bring a few of these dudes home and let the battle begin. :D

Ivite your friends over, take bets and make a night of it. You could probably make some $ too.
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That first pic looks like a few i had in my basement one time. Freaky things.
  12. Holy crap thats ugly...

Like someone's mom I know...
  13. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Boric acid. Vacuum, sprinkle it into carpet (it's a powder), use a broom to work it in, and leave it for a week or so. Now vacuum it up. Kills purt near any creepy crawly known to man, is not toxic to non-buggy life (used to keep infection out of wounds, can even buy it in first aid section at Wal-Mart in small quantities), and is fairly cheap (compared to what an exterminator charges). Works wonders for fleas also.

PS: Make sure you get the "big" bucket (they sell it at home depot and Lowe's) and use the whole thing.
  14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

So, the guy wants to get rid of a few you think he wants a pile of THOSE alien monster bugs scurrying about instead!?!?
  15. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Lol...good point. Maybe an exterminator is a better option.
  16. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Didn't they eat those on Fear Factor?
  17. I do believe they did.