Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Battle: MusicMan Bongo vs. G&L L-2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Feb 8, 2004.

Which bass do you prefer?

Poll closed Feb 22, 2004.
  1. MusicMan Bongo

30 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. G&L L-2000

48 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Who wins?

My vote goes to the G&L L-2000: Better body wood and looks better.

2. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    My vote goes to the Bongo. Better body wood and looks better.

heh heh

3. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    to me, bongo has the fatter sound

4. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Never played the Bongo before but I really like the G&L. The L2K gets my vote.

5. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Somebody cut Jack off and pay his tab please :hyper:

Now really, I am a G&L L2000 freak but am also a MM freak. I have limited experience with the Bongo but from what I have seen/heard it is a fantastic axe leaving me with only one conclusion.......

Buy One of Each :rolleyes: I would like a 4 string L2000 and a 5 String Bongo.

6. The Bongos are UGLY as sin, but unique all the same and i heard they play good and have a nice tone. I also heard the G&L's play good too, my vote goes to the bongo

7. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I must say, if I'd never played either of these basses, I'd keep my ignorant vote to myself. Is it just me?

8. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I know that I haven't voted because, as much as I love my L2K (at least this week), I haven't tried a Bongo. I may never as the neck won't be my thing. Now if EBMM puts out a Bongo with a Sterling neck . . .

9. loma

loma

Sep 27, 2003
  10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I own an L-2500 and Ive played the Bongo.

The Bongo is nice no doubt, but its a bit thinner sounding next to the L-2000.

The only thing I can say I really liked about the Bongo was the 4 band EQ, everything else was between alright & eh.

Peace
    Nick

11. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    I have only played one Bongo (dual bucker 4 banger) and one L-2000, my vote goes for the Bongo just because I thought the tone was pretty close to perfect. There are things I disliked about it, but if I had to pick one of the two, I would pick a Bongo.

12. Once I have the cash I'm going to gut one of my L2000s and toss the pickups and preamp from a bongo in there. Voided warranty here I come.

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Where do you plan on finding the pickups and preamps of a Bongo?

Personally, I think the pickups of the L-2000 blow away the ones ine the Bongo.

The preamp..... well I like the G&L's switches, but that 4 band pre is sweet!

Peace
    Nick

14. Buying a bongo and salvaging the pickups and preamp was my plan. There is an advantage to living near cities with large drug problems.

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Being a Miami resident my whole life I can safely say ***?

I see connection between buying a Bongo and the drug market.

Once again I say: Double you- Tee-Ef ?

16. People tend to unload expensive things cheaply in a big hurry with a monkey on their back.

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah, but a Bongo at a price that justifies what you are talking about?

::shrug::

Best of luck to you.

Peace
    Nick

18. I suppose if I didn't know how to reverse engineer a preamp or lacked the knowledge to copy the pickups, yeah it would be a total waste of money, and therefore an utterly stupid thing to do.

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    So you plan to buy a Bongo on the black market, open it out, copy the electronics, fabricate the pickup components, copy those, and then put it back together?

::shrug::

Ok.

Peace
    Nick

20. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Bongo sounded great; never even seen a G&L. So, no vote.