Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Battle of cheapies: SX or Kramer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  2. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    As an Essex Jazz owner, I would put my money on the Essex. Besides, you got many finish and fretboard options with the Essex. They just look better too.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I also own an Essex and know they are of quality but Kramer has always been in the back of my mind. I still think one day im going to buy a pre-gibson Kramer for fun.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Brings up a question, which Kramers were it that had the aluminum neck?

5. thrasher717

thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
  6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yup ive been doin my research on em and im really startin to dig the idea. The one on ebay is one of the more expensive models.. im diggin the DMZ 4001. It has a P pickup.

7. thrasher717

thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    My friend was in a band with a guy that played one. Can't remember how it sounded, though. Definitely a unique look.

8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    The Kramer has a plywood body where the Essex has an alder body.

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I don't have a P, but I do have a MusicYo Kramer 422S, as well as an SX 3/4 P and a fretless J.

It's honestly a tough call. My Kramer has fancier appointments, like a brass nut and a push/pull coil tap tone knob. My SXs were a bit cheaper and needed setup. The action on my Kramer is *great,* but I bought it used so the last guy probably tweaked it. I don't perform fretless, but if I had to choose between my SX P and my Kramer for a gig, I'd pick the Kramer. I plan on adding an OBP to the SX, and once I do that I'd probably pick the SX. One thing to keep in mind is that the Kramer is made in Korea, which is generally regarded as a country w/ good labor practices. The SX line is made in China where there are numerous human rights violations (although I don't know anything about the specifics of the SX factory).

I also have one of the new generation Kramer aluminum neck basses, a Vaccaro X-Ray 5. I love it! Excellent aggressive rock tone w/ tons of sustain.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If i bought one of the older aluminum necked basses itd obviously be on ebay. They dont sell for too much.

-open question, what is the best, most affordable Kramer? :p