Battle of the 2 x 8" cabs....(warning kinda long)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Analogeezer, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
    So I have been thinking about this for a while and I think I want to buy a 2 x 8" cab, have read a bunch of threads here about them. Just so you know where my mindset is coming from:

1. I need another bass cabinet like a hole in my head (I own 8 of them); so this is more of a fun/different kind of exercise.

2. I like the transient response of small drivers, I am old enough to remember when the 4 x 10" thing came out and we were like "how the hell can that compete with a [email protected] 15" or 18", gotta be wimpy!" Yet did they ever deliver.

My favorite cab is an Ampeg SVT-806HE, has EIGHT 6.5 inch drivers, it sounds great but not a ton of low end but the transient response is unreal. Alas it's to damn purty and rare, combined with 85 pounds of curb hugging weight to take out to a gig.

3. For smaller gigs (as in 80% of them) I used a 2 x 10" (Carvin), powered by an Ampeg B2-R, or a Bugera BVP-5500. This setup has worked fine for me, not looking to replace it per se, but would use the 2 x 8" for tight stage situations or low volume situations.

4. This whole thing started out with the purchase of a cheap Acoustic B300HD head, which I like fairly well so far. The 2 x 8" would be to pair with this, which is 300 watts at 4 ohms, and who knows what at 8 ohms; their specs do not say but I am going to say it's 200 watts at 8 ohms. All my cabinets are 4 ohm cabs so I have never used the head with an 8 ohm cab.

5. It's a cheap head and this is all sort of a fun thing/experiment, so not looking to spend Bergantino levels of cash. Trying to keep it under $700, cheaper than that is a big plus.

6. I want a vertically oriented cab because I hate bending over to ankle level to plug in my bass, hit the mute button, etc. Most of the vertical 2 x 8" cabs seem to be just under two feet tall which is fine.

So on to the usual suspects (in price order), looking for people who have used these and what their opinions on them are:

1. TC208 - certainly is low cost but seems kinda cheap. No actual corner protection on the cab which concerns me. I had a very bad experience with a TC F/X (rackmount) unit which has kind of soured me on the brand. I do own a TC M3000 but that dates well before TC became a bargain brand owned by Uli.

Oh yeah, as small as the Acoustic head is (11.25 inches wide) it would still hang over the sides of the cab and look dorky. I know that's a small thing to bitch about but stuff like that just tends to bug me.

But it's CHEAP.

2. Trace-Elliot 208 - Seems expensive for what it is coming from a mass market brand; $499 and no tweeter (not a big concern but it seems like this thing should cost closer to the TC). Also no corner protection on this one either. I guess the higher quality Faital speakers are to blame for the cost. People seem to either really like these or say they lack enough punch. Actually I read the same things about the TC 208.

The Acoustic head would hang over the sides of the Trace-Elliot just like the TC. Maybe I'd be more excited about this cab if it were $299 instead of $499.

3. Revsound RS-28 (vertical) - People here seem to love the Revsound products and say the guy is a gem to work with. I'm not a "has to be made in the USA" kinda guy but I do like giving business to the little guy instead of some corporate monolith LOL.

No tweeter but that's ok, size is just right and the weight is crazy light, under 21 pounds by a whisker.

I'd like to get some input on this cab before I call the guy, don't want to waste his time with questions I might get answered here first.

So.....they seem to be 8 ohms, but can you spec a 4 ohm cabinet? I have seen references to 4 ohm cabinets but that was for the diagonally oriented 2 x 8"

The array of color choices at no extra cost is kinda cool, the blue ones look great.

My only gripe is the side strap handle, and that is a really minor gripe. I take it this just screws into the side of the cab? Probably not a big deal on a 20 pound cab but I suppose I might ask him about using T-Nuts and bolts to mount the handle. That's the plus of a custom order

These are $475 plus I assume shipping.

Seems like a far better value than the Trace-Elliot

4. GR Bass 208 - I've been REALLY keen on these for a while but now thinking about the Revsound instead.

People seem to love these and they have a tweeter which can be attenuated or even turned off.

As much as I love the Carbon Fiber versions, man that adds $480 to the cost of the 2 x 8". The carbon version weighs 5 pounds less, that's nearly $100 a pound! (the wood version weighs 23 pounds, the carbon version 18 pounds).

So I would be looking at the wood version, which is basically (23 pounds) as light as the RevSound.

$699 though which is at the top of the budget, this started out as a cheap thing (with the Acoustic head which I paid $200 for new) but seems to be escalating into a scope/money creep thing LOL

5. LDS 2 x 8" - this guy offers a lot of customization and is a small shop like RevSound. Not sure if I need one with a bunch of other components in it like he offers but depending on the price it might be fine.

If anybody has one of these I'd love to hear from you about your experiences with it. Like the RevSound guy I'd rather pick your guy's brains first before I make a guy answer the phone and talk to my long winded @zz.

OTHER ALTERNATIVES

6. Not a 2 x 8" cab but still in the very small cab with small speakers category.

Phil Jones C4. Only 8 ohms AFAIK and actually kinda short.

A pair of C2's might be cool but then you are at $700 (plus tax) but that gets you four ohms. I originally thought about a single C2 but the more I read about it the more it seemed to fall into the toy/practice amp category but I suppose a pair of them would more or less equal a C4.

But one C4 is $579, a pair of C2's is $700.

I find the C8 to be really cool but it's getting into the territory of my Ampeg and at 57 pounds is not exactly lightweight. So it kinda overlaps what I already have. Plus it's $900 with tax.

So anything else in the sub $700 category I have missed?

I am ok with used options (I do scour the classifieds here periodically) but you don't tend to find a lot of stuff other than used examples of the TC and the Trace-Elliot.

At some point I might wind up with say a vertical 2 x 12" and a Mesa head, but that's easily a $2,000 prospect and most of my old cabinetry is really not worth that much and for now it does me fine (the Carvin 2 x 10" weighs 42 pounds but that is not that hefty really for me).

Analogeezer

p.s. Interestingly enough, MarkBass makes a 2 x 8" COMBO but not a 2 x 8" cabinet. So that's not on the list because I have a head, no need for a combo

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    PockySteve, DJ Bebop and Bobo like this.
  2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    You are missing the best (IMO) 2x8 cab out there - the MAS Bodai 28.
    Amazing volume, tone, phenomenal lows, 3D sound dispersion.
    Do yourself a favor and check them out.

3. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
    Thanks for the suggestion, they seem pricey but there are a lot of components and a complex design plus a custom build. So not quibbling about the price, just wondering if this might be overkill for a $200 head for a rig that might get light use.

I give the guy props for putting actual downpoints (listed at -5 dB) on his frequency response specs.

So I take it you have one? What kind of bass(es) do you use, what style of music?

Analogeezer

DJ Bebop likes this.
  4. Kinda all over the place in that head of yours; I have been there:)

If this is for mainly low/mid volume use why the worry about 4-8ohms. The extra cab will be more important than xtra power now if you decide to go loud in future.

Your 1,2,3 choices all are good. For me I would reverse the order for preference's.

Starting from scratch[no head] based on your purpose [as I read it:)] I would listen to Trace 1x8 Combo and 2x8 cab extension about 900 with typical discount and Markbass 802 combo about 800 with discount

5. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    On the far opposite end of the spectrum : if you DIY at all MCM 55-2960 is a thumpy fun 8 to play with. Only available 8 ohm so you'd have to go 4 or 16 ohm cab. BUT if you could do with a 120 watt (rms) cab with a bit lower sensitivity the performance of this budget driver is impressive. Need about .8 cuft (per driver) ported; tune a bit over Fs. No tweeter needed.

pie_man_25 and funkinbottom like this.
  6. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    In the understanding it's not an 8 ... Two PJB Cab 27 for 4 ohms come in under $700

20200701_191006.jpg

mikecd1 and BassNugget like this.
  7. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
    Actually the order was in PRICE ORDER, not preference order.

Also - I already have a head, an Acoustic H300D. So I don't need a combo.

I paid $199 (special GC online sale) but they normally go for $279. It was a cheap way to get into the Class D thing; I am not married to that head though....BUT

The whole idea here is to not spend a ton of money, so the idea of pairing a $1,000 boutique super elegant design cabinet with a cheap $200 head seems kinda whacky. So I could sell the Acoustic, buy a $700 - $1000 head (I kinda dig the Mesa stuff), then add a $1,000 boutique cab and wind up with a $2,000 rig but that i not what I am after here.

I actually own a 2 x 8" combo, an Ampeg PBC-200 but it kinda sucks. Supposed to be 200 watts but maybe in low gravity and it's boxy as hell sounding. I bought it on a closeout thing some years back because I thought it was an interesting item. I have used it for low volume practice situations (with no drummer) but it's frankly kinda underwhelming.

But I think it's more the amp, the cab design and the speakers they used (Neos but from 12 years ago).

So I am thinking a modern 2 x 8" design (which will have more cabinet volume) is not gonna sound like the Ampeg combo.

It's light (31 pounds) and cool looking but that's about all the charms it has :)

Analogeezer

8. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I have one. It's my main gigging cab for stuff louder than "mellow-to-medium" for which the MAS 1,8 (yeah, one 8" driver plus mids) is more than sufficient.
    When I feel like I may need to be Super Loud I combine them for a 2.7 ohm 3-8 stack that can keep up with anything I need to play with.
    Today's gig will be outdoors with a loud guitarist and moderate drummer.

I mostly play fusion, funk, world music and "whatever the gig is".
    You can hear the cab live in this recording (another outdoor gig)

Mikes "MAS 28" is a less expensive "no frills" version of the cab which is also killer. @mntngrown has one, as do some other folks.

9. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
    I DIY a lot but frankly the list of projects with my vintage keyboards and other studio stuff, not to mention the car projects puts a lot of stuff way in line before building a cabinet.

Like my Roland JD-800 has the "dreaded red glue problem" Look it up some time, it's a helluva thing. Basically the glue they used to stick the weights on the keys goes gooey after about 12 years and starts oozing all over, sticks the keys together here and there. Roland offered a replacement keybed with a new style of glue years ago, I should have gone for that but it was $375 at the time so I stalled.

So the way you fix this is to:

1. Remove the keybed; mine is so far gone I actually have glue dripping below the keyboard onto the keyboard itself

2. Unstick all the keys, scrape the glue off the felt below the keybed you just removed.

3. Throw the keys into a lye solution for 24 hours, it melts the glue but the smell is like dead fish.

4. Rinse off the keys, reinstall them on the keybed and reinstall the keybed into the actual synth.

This is a helluva lotta work but I paid $600 for it years ago (and back then it worked fine) and one with the keybed repaired is worth about $2,500 these days....so worth the work.

That's just ONE project, there are others LOL.

But good suggestion, I am just full up on projects at the moment.

(Spent about 60 hours a couple of years ago cleaning my vintage analog recording console and doing a full LED lamp replacement for the VU meters......EIGHTEEN OF THEM.)

Analogeezer

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  10. JMO:
    Trace Elliot = owned by Peavey = dead to me.

1960jbass likes this.
  11. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Troy, MO
    I don’t own any of those, but I hold the FaitalPRO 8PR200 drivers in high regard (I think that’s what the Trace uses) because I have four of them in an Audiokinesis cab. They retail for around $200 apiece, so I think your cost assessment is correct.

I have not found the highs or lows lacking in the tweeterless Audiokinesis Birdhaus 48. I think they are pretty flat out to 5-6kHz. They do a pretty good job reproducing clean and crunchy electric guitar, and clean lap steel, without a bunch of extreme hi-EQ boosting, in addition to sounding nice with edge-of-dirt fingerstyle/flats P-bass.

So I would recommend taking a good look and listen to that Trace cab for that reason alone. Good drivers.

Dee-man likes this.
  12. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I had a RevSound 28 and wish that I hadn’t sold it. Sounded great, super light. Probably the best lightweight cab I’ve ever had. I’m sure he’d put the handle wherever you wanted it. Dave is a super nice guy and very helpful as well as knowledgeable.

Tectonic, marcwhy and yodedude2 like this.
  13. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
    Yet there seem to be a ton of people here who love and extol the virtues of old Peavey stuff, I am not one of them :)

But hey give Peavey credit, Fender buys companies out (Sunn*, SWR) then kills them, at least Peavey continued the brand albeit in a very small line of products compared to the old Trace-Elliot.

*I realize Fender brought the Sunn brand BACK from deadsville, but they still killed the brand. Seemed kinda dumb to me to do that.

The Model T didn't exactly have a lot of overlap with the rest of the Fender line.

Analogeezer

14. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    As with most cabinets, but especially a format without a lot of cone area, like a 2 x 8, I would NOT consider a 4 ohm version - it's very likely at some point you will decide you need another cabinet, and a 4 ohm version means you're locked out of adding a second cabinet with most amps.

darwin-bass, pedrodelawasp and Wasnex like this.
  15. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
    Oh one thing I would add to this, the CLOSEST Guitar Center is like 65 miles away and I have been to that one and another one even further away (I was in the neighborhoods both times, I would have tried out some cabs had they been there).

Chuck Levin's MIGHT have some of this stuff (probably the Trace) but I have not seen ANY of these mass market cabinets at a local GC.

I don't expect to find the custom, small shop stuff but my ability to actually test drive any of these cabs is like virtually zilch.

Hence the questions.

Analogeezer

16. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
    That's just it, I don't WANT to buy a second cabinet; if I needed a second cabinet I would just wind up using some of the stuff I already own which would be better suited for higher volume situations.

If I decided to go deeper into this Class D thing and spend more money, I'd probably opt for the Mesa or some other brand that will pull a load lower than 4 ohms if need be.

I already have this ability with my rackmount setup that uses a power amp but obviously that is a bit of weight.

Analogeezer

17. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
    Interesting, why did you sell it? What did you replace it with?

I do see a lot of people cycling through gear here in a GAS mode, I tend to buy stuff and hold on to it though :)

Analogeezer

funkinbottom likes this.
  18. I recall there being a Fender rumble 2x8 with tweeter, playing thru it at a store and being surprised by it. But alas, a quick search shows it is out of stock on all major retailers...Sorry to hear about your JD-800, it's a really nice board.

Dee-man likes this.
  19. mntngrown

mntngrown

Aug 18, 2007
    The lost Sierra
    My MAS 28 surprised me with what gigs it could cover. Even outdoors with moderate volume blues guys.

20. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Ocala, FL
    While it doesn’t hurt to verify, all of the strap handles I’ve encountered used T nuts.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021