Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

battle of the 750 watt heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott Lynch, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Aguilar DB750

22 vote(s)
    48.9%
  2. SWR Bass 750

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  3. SWR 750x

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Mesa Boogie Big Block 750

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Epifani UL750

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. Other

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Which one is the best and why?

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Kustom Groove Bass 1200 fo' sho'! Cost less than all of the heads list, puts out more watts (1200), goes down 2 ohms, TONS of features, kick ass looking (Stainless with toggles and LEDS), etc, etc. Click link in my sig for more info...

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you had said "800 watt head", I would have voted for the iAMP 800.

And of course, if you had said "1,200 watt head", then Walter Woods Ultra. :D

4. SWR seemed weak to me- a mere SVT-3pro woops up on loud guitarists better for me.

5. I love Mesa bass tone. I can't fault the Big Block for anything.

6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Depends what you want... There is no best choice, but this is what I would do:
    1.Aguilar DB750
    Great tone and power. Definitely adds its own color to your sound. I'm an aggie fanatic... so I'm biased. Exceptional warranty. Aguilar amps always sound good in the mix with any type of music. Hifi but not sterile. Big head big sound. definitely a candidate for a 810 or 412 cab

2. Epifani UL750
    VERY NATURAL sounding. This is on my GAS list (500 watt version). Probably not as loud as the others, but it is definitely the sound you put in. In a quiter setting (which kinda defeats the need for 700 watts), this would be my amp of choice with something like epifani 112s or berg 112s or something else ike the old EA 110s or 108s

3. Mesa Big block 750
    Good sound, similar to the Aggie without as much detail. Definitely a loud amp with lots of eq. IMO it does the "old school" tube sound the best.

4. SWR bass 750
    Good sounding head, but not as loud as I would like for a 750 watt head (I'm assuming you are talking about the old ones). Wouldn't rush out to buy one.

5. SWR 750x
    I'm personally not a fan of this amp at all... Overpriced, to many gimmicky things like the subwave control etc. that doesn't really help the sound.

7. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Ignored the GK & Eden amps... Bold

8. Why no Gk K 1001RB II?

9. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    One thing to consider: Most of those heads (assuming) will put out 750 watts when they're under a 4 ohm load, however, the Mesa BB750 will only achieve its full 750 watts under a 2 ohm load. That's specifically why I bought an M-Pulse 600 instead of the BB750.

That being said, the M-Pulse 600 seemed MUCH louder than the SWR 750X that I owned for a while, and even seemed louder than my GK 2001RB before it blew up.

Watts aside, and based on pure tone, I'm still voting for the Mesa.

10. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

So the effects on the 750x are essentially useless? I figured having an overdrive and octave built in to the amp would add some versatility, such as adding a little bit of tubey grit/bass distortion. What's honestly so bad about the SWR? The tone I've got with my old bass 350 is awesome.

11. Like Pickebass I'm an Aguilar fanatic. I love my DB680+DB728 but there are times when I want to haul less weight and need the extra headroom. In those situations I'll take the DB750, which is a truly great sounding amp that always cuts through the mix and has lots of power to spare. I have no hesitation in recommending the DB750.

12. I have an SWR 350x. I agree and disagree on what you said here.
    Agree: Subwave stinks

Disagree: too many gimicky things. On the contrary the Aural Enhancer and the FX Blend are awesome items and work very well.

13. I have an SWR 350x. I agree and disagree on what you said here.
    Agree: Subwave stinks

Agree: A little pricey

Disagree: too many gimicky things. On the contrary the Aural Enhancer and the FX Blend are awesome items and work very well.

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The only one of these I've played through is the DB750.

Monsterous power for its stated rating.

Unique tone (even among Agie amps) -- agressive tone that's great for rock and cutting through on a dense stage.

I'm not sure if I'd want to use it for all types of music.

I'd like to hear one pushing my Schroeder 410.

15. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The Aguilar wins by a long shot. I've played everything on that list (besides the epifani) and the Aguilar was definatly my favorite.

16. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    aggie hands down. that is one of the loudest amps i've heard. not my favorite preamp section, but not my least favorite by any means. siounds great. and did i mention it's loud?

17. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    easy. IMO, the original 350 is a great amp (a little underpowered) and the 750 seems to be good. the new X series sound much better (IMO) with all of the new effects junk off. way too gimmicky, not well executed. as an swr fan, ya dont know how it pains me to say that. :meh: