1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Battle of the Affordable Stacks!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flacco, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Flacco

Flacco Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Jacksonville, FL
    So me and my GK mb fusion 500 have been rocking out with my acoustic bn210/115 stack and have casually been researching other cabs’ features and what not. I was always looking to go maybe a little lighter or try some other types of speakers and what not. However, I wasn’t ready to go boutique or high end just yet, and I already own a rumble stage 800, so I figured I would A/B a pair of V3 rumble 210s with the acoustic rig. I played my 2011 MIM jazz.

Here is how the slightly underwhelming battle ended up:

The acoustic rigs are slightly heavier and have very annoying spring loaded handles which were always waiting to snap back on me fingies! Minor annoyance but compared to the recessed rumble handles, it annoyed me. I can speak to the durability of both since I play out once a month and travel a bunch around north FL. Both brands have held up well for budget offerings. The appearance is subjective and, well you can judge yourself. But the grill can come off the rumble very easily. I actually haven’t tried to remove the acoustic now that I think about it...anyways. The rumble rig also sits higher than the acoustic rig which Is good for monitoring purposes. Now the good stuff!

Right off the bat the rumble rig was brighter and has a more natural scooped voicing to my ears. This is fine since I think rumbles are known for their classic/vintage tone persona. Sensitivity seemed about the same as changing no gain/volume on the head yielded no discernable difference in loudness from rig to rig. Overall, the acoustic is a bit more mid flavored than the rumble, all settings equal, but the rumble has abit more tone. The lows seemed indistinguishable to me from rig to rig, I would imagine they have similar frequency shapes down there.

The deal breaker for me was the horn options. The acoustic has none. And by this I mean the on/off switch for the horn is useless. I can’t tell a difference and I can’t get it to sound as bright as the rumble, which boasts a 3 position horn. My personal preference is the -6db horn setting which allows for mellow mids and taming of the highs. But, it’s nice to have the option to go brighter if I need to.

So at the end, the rumble won the day. I know I wasn’t comparing apples to apples due to the speaker size differences, but I figured they each had a 210 in there so....yea close enough?

At any rate, it could just be a battle of cab configuration which is just as valid I guess. Hope someone gets something out of it at least, I usually like these things so here is my offering.

- Flacco

Attached Files:

G-Dog likes this.
  2. Bim1959

Bim1959

Apr 15, 2009
    Naples Florida
    Sales and electronic tech/piano tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA - now closed
    I havent played with the rumbles yet but I have the Acoustic B210neo cabinet and love it!!! Ive been used to spring loaded handles and have never had them spring back on my fingers. I love the horn switch and normally keep it in the off position as I hate the annoying hiss sound they give me. Using the 210 on its own gives me more than enough low end for small to medium sized venues that have PA support.

I'd love to compare it to a rumble series cabinet but the Fort Myers (I live in Naples) guitar center has next to nothing for bass rigs (all they have are Acoustic combos and heads) to even give them a listen and the local music stores dont have Fender amps in stock.

3. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    Good for you, Flacco. How about visiting the Fender Rumble Club and telling your story? You could join while you're there!

BTW, have you tried connecting your two Rumble cabs to your Stage 800? Just be sure to set the impedance switch to the proper external load! 800 watts thru 6 10s would truly be awesome!!!

:thumbsup:

4. J-Mags

J-Mags

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    My Acoustic 115 Cab is preposterously heavy. I hate moving it. It's got to be 70-80 lbs. My Friend's Rumble 210 seems to weigh about half as much.

AstroSonic likes this.
  5. Flacco

Flacco Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Jacksonville, FL
    Oh man, i didn't know I could do that. I will try it out and proceed to out-awesome my guitarists! Thanks for the assist. I'm gonna go join the club now.

G-Dog likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021