battle of the bands advice

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by CannonKing, Mar 4, 2002.

1. In two weeks our band has our second gig. This one is a battle of the bands at our school. Our set will consist of 3 or 4 of the following songs

Foo Fighters - Generator
    AAF - Movies
    Sum 41 - Fat Lip
    Sum 41 - In Too Deep
    P.O.D. - Alive
    RATM - Killing in the Name of
    Incubus - Drive
    Nickelback - How you Remind Me

Any suggestions on what songs to play? Or other songs we could play? Also any general gig tips would be greatly appreciated
  2. Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    If things Go well, you could try a cover of Pink Floyds another Brick in the Wall (Part II), it's something everyone Knows!!! and will "sing" along to if goaded, may be worth a try...
  3. You COULD try to write your own songs ;)

P.O.D. 's Alive is a good song :)

Try Hitchin' A Ride... by Green Day, you can make the people say hey ho :D ;)

Another two I'd go with is Drive and How You Remind Me
  4. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    video killed the radio star (the presidents of the USA version):D

goes down a treat anywhere..(make sure to have tight pants for the OW-AH-OW parts)
  5. Another Brick in the Wall (part II) would definitely be a cool song to play, <b>especially</b> at school. I think it could tick some people off though:rolleyes:
  6. Duke of Prunes

Duke of Prunes Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Southborough, MA
    If you play this, I guarantee you will win. It worked for us. :D

Oh, and don't take a long time setting up. You will piss off the other bands, the audience and the judges and you will not win.
  7. Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    When I was in school I always wanted to hear some band come in and play "Crazy Train" then go straight in to "Paranoid".
  8. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Both Sum 41 songs, then Drive. If it is for high school, i suggest you do something popular, like something they will know and like. Not any of that top 40.....garbage, but like Sum 41 and that. They would be really cool. Make sure you end the event on a high, fast hitting, rolling song.
    Good Luck;)
  9. Personally I would stay away from RATM Killing in the name of. It seems (at least around here anyway) that almost every cover band plays it, making it a bit overdone. Just IMO, mind you.

10. If you want to win a battle of the bands you have to do songs that showcase your talent. The band I'm in won a battle of the bands when we opened with Eruption by Van Halen and then we played Tommy the Cat by Primus so I could show off a little bit. We also played an original song and a couple other covers
  11. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    the presidents of the usa did that song for the drew carey show, cleveland rocks. that's a cool song, and people would know it, but there's more to the song than they actually play on the show, so they would be suprised.
  12. i also would stay away from the RATM song because if i recall the ending is
    "f**k you i wont do what you tell me"
    which i don't think the teachers will aprove of

we've also got a battle of the bands happening in the near future, we'll be doing,
    Green Day long view
    spunge makes me happy (a small time U.K band)
    and a load of our own songs

it's mostly bouncy foot tapping skank stuff to chear up the audience.
    and i also agree with the popular punk songs so that theres something the townies know :D

13. ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Dude. Blink 182's Dammit (carefully edited, of course). When that opening guitar riff plays (you know duh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh), the high school kids go crazy. It would be cool.
  14. Trist6075

Trist6075 Guest

Mar 6, 2001
    KILLING IN THE NAME OF is a ill song. I don't think they'll let you get away with singing "**** u I won't do what you tell me" as many times as LaRocha does, though. Stay away from "alive' by POD. That song is really played out and gay as hell with those lyrics. Your really can't go wrong with Pink Floyd. Just about any of their songs should win it for you.
  15. Trist6075

Trist6075 Guest

Mar 6, 2001
    How about Ironman by sabboth. That should get the crowd rockin. Sorry if this already been said. I haven't read all the replies
  16. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    we won our battle of the bands our senior year by playing a combination of 'loc'd after dark' (tone loc) and 'bust a move' (young mc). we had two percussion breaks and a bass solo. it was pretty wak, yo.

as much as i love pink floyd, i'd recommend doing something upbeat...
  17. yamahamofo

yamahamofo Guest

Feb 22, 2002
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Play Killing in the Name Of, as everyone loves Rage. Also, do some rhcp, like aeroplane or give it away
  18. coarp

Mar 2, 2002
    yeah, play original stuff. or if not play KoRn or if your drummer is good enough play tool
  19. i would like to suggest that you guys try either all around the world (red hot chilli) or creed's higher/my scrifice.

these songs (especially all around the world) rely heavily on the ability of the bassist, and the guitars, and the drums.

showcasing talent always work, and next comes the popularity of the song. as long as you can play them smoothly, and show off the talent, you have a better chance at winning.

i would agree with the others that you play original compostitions (although you could limit it to one song per contest).

good luck and hope this helps! ;)
  20. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    But doesnt just about EVERY song ever made rely on these instruments?:confused: :confused: