1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Battle of the Bands Tonight

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassman03, Apr 10, 2010.

1. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
    Title says it all. Statewide BOTB that was sponsored by J.E.L. (Just Eliminate Lies - an anti-smoking company here in Iowa). The first two rounds were voting on Facebook - video submission. First round was everyone entered, and the second round had the top 10. And now tonight, at a pretty well known venue called "People's Court" in Des Moines, its the top five playing it out live for (hopefully) a pretty big crowd. Each band gets 10 minutes to set up and then 20 minutes to play - you don't get penalized if you go under the 20, but if you go over, they turn you off and stop you mid songs and A) you get penalized and B) it looks bad.

After the battle is over, Envy Corps, a Des Moines band that is signed to a record lable and has toured with some pretty big named people is playing a set.

So I have a couple of questions to ask before we go and do this.

1. Crowd response is a huge thing - any tips on how to get the crowd into it? This might sounds dumb, but there's gotta be some people out here who have some good ideas. We're the fourth band, so by then we're hoping there's a lot more people.

2. What are any other tips you guys might have for a gig that has a lot on the line (I'll get to that later) and that could potentially get your band a whole lot of credit in Iowa (I know it doesn't sound like much, but it's a start).

Winning band gets $2000 worth of equipment from a music store in town, a free day at a professional recoding studio, and a pretty big gig lined up for the summer on the same stage that (even tho I hate the band) Slip Knot and Envy Corps got known on.

Sorry for the longish post, but thanks for reading and thanks for responses! :bassist:

2. Play covers people know... and play them good. As bad as it might seem, thats how you win BOTB's.

One time my band one a BOTB because we did syncronised circle headbanging in a song.