Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Battle of the Bands tryouts tomorrow

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by John Davis, Jan 24, 2002.

1. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Well, the time has come. Tomorrow, Friday, January 25, at 5:00 P.M. Central Time, my band <a HREF="http://shinplaster.version9.net">Shinplaster</a> is trying out for the local Battle of the Bands. We are playing "Monkey Wrench" by Foo Fighters(*sigh*, I don't like it, but oh well, it's kinda easy) and an original called "Squares." I won't be on again until AFTER the tryouts due to me leaving school, going to practice right after, then to tryouts. Wish me luck, PLEASE. I'm REALLY nervous.

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

One big piece of advice learned over 30+ years of being with the bass;

- DON'T compare yourself with the other bassists who show up. You do what you do better than anyone else can.

4. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Hey its 7,he should be back soon!The best thing to do when trying out for things like that,is to learn songs that will get the crowd going,if you play something boring,they'll be sitting there while you jumping around.Tell us how it went!

5. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Well, I'm back.

Let's just say, I'm eating my way out of the depression I feel at the moment. :(

I don't know what place we got, I'd rather not know.

I'm going to go wallow in self-pity for a while.....or go **** up some punk that decides to mess with me.....whichever happens first.

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    What on earth happened?

It feels better to share... so go ahead....

7. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Ok, well, we didn't get in. I just found out yesterday.

We didn't bother to soundcheck for some reason, and we just started playing. The amp I was on couldn't go up loud enough, the rythym guitarist was too loud, the lead guitarist was too soft, you couldn't hear the vocalist, and the drummer was being resonated through the hollow stage he was on.

*sigh* It was our fault really, but still......

Yet another example of how sound levels will make or break your gig. :(

8. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    lol

My drummer is trying to get us into one of those. I can't take anything like that seriously. A "Battle fo the Bands" ahahahaha so silly: a contest of bands, few of which have any value. What about music for the sake of fun and artistry? It it dead.

Anyway, that sucks about your lack of a soundcheck. Don't feel that bad, it wasn't like it would change your life if you got in and won.;)

9. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Way to make it worse!!! :(

But hey, the judging panel was mostly metal-heads and punkers, so even if we did do the sound check and performed well, chances are, we wouldn't have gotten in.

10. That's a bummer, dude. Happens to all of us, though.
    Chin up, and go over the good points of the gig, and only look at the bad in a constructive/positive way. :)

At least (hopefully) you've learnt something - soundcheck if ever you have the opportunity. After a while in the same band a soundcheck isn't that necessary for every gig (ie the band and the band's soundperson "know" their sound), but more than useful when playing at an unfamiliar venue.

11. Edited for content
    I don't like Biased people.

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Every year my University organizes a battle of the bands. All of the money raised goes to charity, and they raise quite a few bucks. It's an all day event and the bands are all pretty good. While I agree that the "battle" part can be a bit silly (nobody ever really cares about their score) an event like this can be fun and do some good.

13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    what do you mean? im in Mexico

oh and watch your language, you are NOT on TC anymore

14. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    hey our band used to play "monkey wrench" too!

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Battle of the bands can be tough. They really aren't set up for each band. But then again, I guess it's a challenge making of much of it as you can...

16. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Don't worry about it, John. You went out there and did your best. You made some mistakes but either way you did your thing in front of a bunch of people. Good job! Don't forget you will learn from your mistakes and get a bit better each time.