battle of the bands

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by floydbass, Apr 10, 2005.

1. My band is entering our school's battle of the bands. This might not sound weird. But what is weird is we play jazz. All the other bands are Emo or hardcore or whatever. And we play jazz/ jazz fusion. It will be interesting. has anyone else done something similar to this?
  2. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I've got two battle of the band shows coming up. My jazz band isn't playing in them, but my death metal band is. The band playing before us is a Christian band so I know what you mean by akward moments.
  3. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    yes ive had a similar situation , for our punishment , god made us parthenogenic , but nothing ever came of it.
  4. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    My university just hosted one this past wednesday, we had 7 bands playing, and probably 5 different types of music. Metal, rock, "punk", acoustic rock and a prog rock bands. Granted, no jazz, but had one gone up on stage I think most people would've welcomed it. It's good to be different and not sound like the rest of the bands going up.

5. snake

Jul 21, 2004
    Aurora. CO
    Play what you play best, and play it the best you can. The crowd and or judges will know. Don't worry what anyone else is playing or expecting. Kick their ass!
  6. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    From what I've seen, if you play something for the crowd that everyone loves and could sing along to, go for it. Those things are usually based on crowd opinion, and if you play something that everyone loves, your set to go. Everyone gets a kick when my bands plays Cocaine or Foxey Lady, we go too. Because they are easy and everyone knows the lyrics
  7. Our set list as of know looks like this, we get 15 minutes.
    Chamelion - Herbie Hancock
    Some Skunk Funk - Randy Brecker
  8. Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    My band has won our school's Battle of the Bands 2 years in a row now, and we play all classic rock kind of stuff. Our originals are pretty modern, but we love playing Hendrix/Floyd/CSNY and such at any chance possible.

But, to get back to your original statement, we are the only band like that in our school, and really, in this stupid town (outside of Akron...Akron itself has a lot of awesome jazz/jam players). So, even though we are that different from all the nu-metal, emo, punk-pop crap, we manage to pull it off.

You'll be fine...and most importantly....HAVE FUN!!! It's really not worth doing unless you're having a great time playing.