Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Battle of the Bands

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sound Guy Paul, Jun 7, 2001.

1. I just came from our area battle of the bands competition. The way they do it, it really screws younger bands such as myself out of being able to do well. They hold it in an eighteen and over bar, but allow younger kids to come. With their parents. How many of my friends are going to show up with their parents? none thats how many. All of our bands parents had to be there as well. It was all very annoying. To vote for a band you also had to be over eighteen. Which means that even if our friends came with their parents, that would only be one vote. Everybody their said we had the best sound out of any of the bands there. the two other bands scores were 56, and 34. Our score: 24. Has anybody ever played in a battle of the bands that was judged? That would be so much more fair. When the crowd votes, it turns into a popularity contest. I guess its just a way for the bar to get people to come in and drink.

2. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Where was this contest at? Also whats the name of your band. My friends band just went to a contest and won, wonder if it was the same one.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

One of the bands I played in won a Battle of the Bands several years ago. It was a judged competition. The competition lasted several nights and the winners of each night played off against each other the final night. Plus, there was a competition to get into the competition. Tapes had to be submitted and only the best bands were chosen from those tapes. Bands didn't win by popular acclaim, but were selected by a panel of musicians and radio personalities.

You were at a disadvantage with the strict rules about age and parent chaperoning. The competition must have been held in a bar. We were lucky to have played in a really decent auditorium.

I honestly don't know the criteria for how winners were chosen. Everyone told us just to go and have fun and get exposure for our band. There were at least three bands favored to win and we had no prayer. Well, lo and behold, we won! To this day I don't know why, but it was such a wonderful thing.

I'll give you this advice. Keep on trying. There will be other band competitions, other chances, other years, other rules. Don't give up. In fact, do what we were told. Chalk your experience up to--well--experience. Everytime you play, you learn something. Just don't get discouraged and give up.

And lastly, even if you never win a Battle of the Bands, remember many excellent successful bands haven't either. It is wonderful to win, but ultimately it may have little to do with how far your band goes. A year after my band won, we had broken up.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    My band was just in one about a month ago. The contest was every Tuesday night for 7 weeks. The winners of each night squared off against each other in the finals. It was a lot of fun, even though we came in second. I didn't even think we would make it to the finals. There were four bands that played each Tuesday night, so in other words, 24 bands were entered in it. The last night six bands played.

There were a couple of underaged bands there. And their parents had to be in there with them, also. And they had to leave as soon as they were done playing (it was in a 21 and over bar).

The judging was done partly by a group of 4 judges, and partly by the crowd (crowd response was a big part of the score).

Ryan

5. The competition I was in was in a bar, and there are about 50 bands in it. The way they do it is the first round all 50 bands play and the 25 bands with the highest votes go on to the second round then from there on they go head to head for about 6 rounds until the finals. Everything goes by crowd approval.

6. Hey, look on the bright side...
    You actually got into a battle of the bands. If there was such thing as any public battle of the bands around here, I'm sure my band would be practicing a lot more, writing a lot more songs. But, since there's no such thing here in Hong Kong, I just have to settle for playing covers at school talent shows & school fairs, as well as other school functions. We COULD play originals, but...well, unless they're exceptionally good, no one's really going to appreciate it since we're just high school kids.

Well, that and we don't really know much theory, so writing songs is kinda hard. :D

7. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    if your afraind of the "popular vote" wear masks or sumthing, hide your identities, and if your good enuff you might win......

....what the hell am I talking about, you gotta be popular to be able to play. :D