Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Battle Of The Bands

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Yorkiebassist, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    Me and my band have entered a local Battle Of The Bands. The backline is set, so I can't use my own amp(this is to make it fairer). Now, I can however use pedals, so I was thinking of using my Sansamp BDDI for some nice tone tweaking(I may keep the blend completely off, and jsut use it as a preamp). Now, which bass should I use? I have a Spector Euro LX, which gets quite middly and burpy when I solo the bridge pickup, a Warwick Thumb (but I'm not sure this will sound very good without an amp to bring out the mids), or my Ibanez BTB with 3 band variable mid EQ? I'm leaning towards the Ibanez, because although it isn't as high end as my 'wick or spector, and nor does it sound as nice when I put it up against the Spector and Warwick through my own amp, it may yield more of my tone than when I don't have my own amp. On the other hand I do have an EQ pedal, but this can be a bit tempremental, and none of the sldiers effect the 500hz range, where my tone is. What d'ya reckon I should do?

2. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I am not sure if all of that EQ'ing would be nessecary. I would seriously just concentrate on what bass you like to play more. I have played a battle of the bands JUST like that recently and we advanced the second round. The Emergenza Festival, I wonder if that is the one you are participating in.
    But anyways, they generally supply you with an amp that is a good all around amp. And the MAIN reason they supply you with one is so that the change overs are more efficient. What they will end up doing is they will do a sound check. And then take your settings down. So that when you are ready to play they just adjust the settings to what you had before.

3. Think less of the inherant tone characteristics of the basses, and think more of your playing. Since it is a battle of the bands, you probably have only a couple songs worth of time, so think about which bass you think you could have the best performance on, since it has to really count. Chances are most of the crowd/judges won't really notice the differences in bass tone. So you should pick what you are most physically comfortable with playing. Aside from that, if I had to pick, I'd pick the Spector (I own both a BTB and a Euro Spector).

4. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    Well, I can guarantee we will be getting DI'd off a crappy DI box(hate those things!). The amp is most likely to be a Peavey TNT, but I'm not sure if that even has a DI(but I doubt they'd use it, as I said). As for taking settigns down, I doubt it very much, they won't listen to me if I ask for a lot of mids at 500hz. They EQ the bass so it's a deep rumble and use those settigns for everyone(unless we get the good sound guy who is a bassist!). O, and the BOTB is at a place called Fibbers in York, UK.

5. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    You paint them to be pretty rigid and unwilling to work with you.

I've never met a situation where a soundman wouldn't welcome some ideas from the bassist (especially something specific like "more mids about 500k"). Makes their job easier and they don't have to guess. Of course, if you don't give them any information, then they have no choice but to guess and make it sound how THEY think it should sound.

As far as the "crappy DI", why not bring your own? Like someone already said, the set backline is not usually there for fairness, but rather for expedient band changes. I would think as long as you could plug in your DI quickly, you'd be fine.

A couple of years ago, a group I was in hosted a BOTB, and we bent over backwards to accomodate the bands. One band even brought their own wireless mics that they preferred to use. We set them up on their own channels. No big deal. We had a bunch of guys bring their own DI and not use ours... no problem. We did have a really great soundtech at the board, though (one of the bands offered her a job at the end of the battle)...

With gear like yours, I'd have to wonder if you're not playing an event that might be a little under your level, though... But that's just my opinion.