Battle of the Bands

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by GaryM, Sep 18, 2006.

1. GaryM

GaryM

Jul 28, 2006
    Dundee, UK
    My band has been together for a few months and we are looking to put on our first gig in the next month or two, i.e. hire a venue, recruit some other bands, take money on the door, etc. Now last night one of the other guys in the band got in touch to tell me that a third guy in the band had "got us a gig". Great, I said, give me the details. It's a Battle of the Bands he says. Not so great I said. Check out the website he says. So I did and the deal is:

Entry fee = £60 [US$113, €89]
    Max time on stage = 8 minutes
    Cost per minute of stage time = £7.50 [US$14, €11]

Now, am I right in thinking that paying £7.50 a minute to be on stage, at a gig where only the first band gets to soundcheck is not a great deal? Has anyone had a good experience with this type of gig? Thanks.

2. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    i dont like the look of that.

it would be easier to put on 4 bands, split the cost of the venue, and then split the money made on the door and at the bar.

I wouldnt pay £60 to play for 8 minutes, and then have to pay per minute anyway.

how much is the venue to hire?

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Never pay to play... That's my theory... That's what practice is for. Here are the exceptions:

You play in a Prog Rock band
    You play in a Speed Death Metal band
    You pay in a Christian Emo Band

Ah man, I know I'm gonna get flak for this post....:bag:

4. GaryM

GaryM

Jul 28, 2006
    Dundee, UK
    Dunno, it's the Garage in Glasgow "Scotland's biggest club" so probably more than we could afford right now. I'd much rather hire a small place here and do 45 minutes (and hopefull break even on the thing) than go to Glasgow to do 8 minutes and possibly sound crap, even if it is at a really big venue.

5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Doesnt sound that good to me.

6. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    dont do it.

hire a small place if you've never put on a gig before, at least then it won't be so bad if you only get a few people in - if the garage in glasgow is the same size as the garage in london, it'll costy you about £800 to hire it. Which is quite frankly, stupid.

you'd be better off in a pub.

7. GaryM

GaryM

Jul 28, 2006
    Dundee, UK
    I've put on gigs before with other bands that were of the "hire a pub function room and charge people to get in" type, I think that's the best way for us to go to start with.

8. Albot

Albot Sonoran Fury!!

Sep 12, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you take your group very seriously, I would suggest staing away from "Battle of the Bands" You get no attention paid to your sound or a decent sound check. You dont get to represent yourself with a well put together set, and if you dont win, it can hurt the public perception of your group. They also just end up being a popularity contest not really based on how well you did but how many people you brought. Set up your own show, or get on a bill that someone else is setting up with 3-4 groups, you will get the attention you deserve for all you hard work, and you will meet other bands and such that you are working with not "battling". I dont know about you, but I'd rather be a part of a scene that has a bit of community rather than competition.

9. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    It shouldn't even be called "Battle Of The Bands," cause all it is is just a popularity contest; basically whoever gets most of their friends there wins. I agree with Albot stay away from those shows, yeah they're fun and it'll give you more experience playing live and some recogonition but unless you can get a bunch of friends there don't do it. Not to mention $114 (sorry I live in America) to play 8 minutes is just a flat out rip off. I payed $60 for my old band to do a battle of the bands about 2 years ago and we had to do a 20 minute, or less, set. Basically, stay away from them.

10. RockFace

RockFace

Jul 14, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    that show sounds like a bad deal man. 8 minutes max is garbage...try to think of a list of things, anything at all, you can do in 8 minutes, and it's not much. to build an atmosphere and make a lasting positive impression on a crowd or a judge in 8 minutes, you better be in Dream Theater or have Les Claypool in your band or something. also, you're paying THEM for your band to provide music to them. TWICE.

pass on the show man. i don't care how new your band is, you can set up better shows than that.

rock.

11. jimb213

jimb213

Nov 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    you should go laugh in the face of the guy in your band who suggested this (not really - but you get the idea). That sounds like an utterly horrible night. absolutely avoid it.

12. Our band has only done one "Battle of the Bands" ever, and that was basically because a friend of our band was putting it on, and it was more for fun than for any serious cash prize.

Most of them are pretty much a joke, or more blatantly a "pay to play" type scheme as shown in the first post of this thread.

Stay away. Better to use that day rehearsing and getting better than going through all that stress of not having a proper sound check, only having time to do one or two songs MAX, and having to PAY for it.

Also, don't fall for the "prestige" factor of any venue. Many places like to toot their own horn as being "historic" or "the biggest in (whatever area)". A lot of it is just hype so they can sucker young bands in to playing for free, or even paying money to play there.

13. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    +1 you'll just encourage other venues to run the same crap on the bands.

14. GaryM

GaryM

Jul 28, 2006
    Dundee, UK
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I thought this a bit of a dodgy idea in the first place and after reading your comments I am dead against it, just hope the other guys in the band see things the same way :meh:

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I did plenty of free jobs in my younger days, but I sure as hell would NEVER pay to play.

16. Exactly...doing something you enjoy for free is fine, but having to pay money to do it? No way.

17. basses5

basses5

Oct 31, 2002
    Wichita,KS
    One more time don't do it mate.:rollno:

18. Wow, that's horrible. Around here you get 15 minutes of stage time, and I don't believe there's a fee.

19. GaryM

GaryM

Jul 28, 2006
    Dundee, UK
    You'll be glad to hear that we're not doing it :D Although we are looking now at putting on our own gig with a couple of other bands, and the only other 80s metal-sounding band in the area aren't answering me, the only ones who seem interested are a death-metal band and a band who describe themselves as pop/post-hardcore... should make for an interesting night!

20. dion mauer

dion mauer

Sep 21, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    A few years back, my former band entered into a battle of the bands at a local club. (The club bills it as a "Local Music Showcase.") We were new to the scene and had zero following past our firends. the gig was 4 bands, 45-50 minute set w/ a quick soundcheck for each band. Anyway, each of the bands had to sell 20 tix at $5 each or pay $100 for the entry fee. Winner basically takes the $400. Long story short, we worked our asses off to sell the 20 tix.

At the show we were dismayed to find that another band had sold tons of tickets to their friends. They easily had near 100 people there. (and what was worse, the band was a bunch of drunk 14 year olds w/ bright shiny new stacks, axes and wireless systems).

We brought our best that night and ended up winning the contest despite who brought the crowd. we did so well in fact, that the club invited us back to their next battle, sans ticket sale duties.

The point: yeah it was a gamble, but we did well that night.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021