Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

battle of the bands

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by downstairs, Sep 20, 2002.

1. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I have a Battle of the bands show at this place called Nation in DC on October 5th. The problem is, we need to sell 30 freakin tickets to play. The winner gets 16 hours of recording time, 2nd place gets $300, I'm not sure what everyone else gets. My band is basically gonna do it for fun, but we might have a chance of winning. The only problem being WE HAVEN'T PLAYED IN FRONT OF ANYONE EVER. Seeing as how our slot might be in a bad time or a good time, we might be playing in front of 300-1000 people. Any suggestions for stage fright? Also, if anyone wants a ticket, it'd help alot, they are $15 e-mail me at Duh9486@hotmail.com

Oh yeah, my band is Black Berry Crush.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Three biggies -

1. If looking your audience face-on is a problem, look just above the heads of the people in the very back. It appears you are actually looking at the audience when all you're really seeing is the back wall or where the faces are too far way to look like much anyway.
    Professional speakers rely on this trick

2. Assume you will be distracted from the song, assume you will "get lost." (especially if there is some flashing!) or that the monitor mix won't be all that great and you'll get lost at times because all you can hear is yourself and the drums.
    To be prepared for these things - don't just learn your songs from beginning to end. Any dummy can do that.
    Take recordings of your songs and just begin them from random points in the songs. Start a song in the middle and see if you can jump right in. See if you can pick up the songs and fit right in from any point, just as if your mind was being distracted playing live and you have to jump back in the song from any point.
    Being able to pick up the song from any point will save your ass!

3. Make the dead time between songs as short as possible. The sooner you can go from one song to the next, the more the audience will dig you. When there are long breaks of silence between songs, the audience feels uncomfortable and uncool. The band looks even more uncool.

3. Also, acknowledge the audience. Introduce yourselves. But don't give them a 30 minute discourse on the human condition. Just a "This is Dave on guitar, and jack on drums, and I'm Bill on the pan flute," type of thing.

Rock on
    Eric

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Oh! And can your guitarist get a can a lighter fluid and use it to act like they're urinating on the guitar before they light it???

[​IMG]

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Put things in perspective; what's the worst that can happen? If it does happen, so what. Don't sweat it, have fun.

6. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx

Good point!! DO NOT make funny faces/curse/shake your head, etc... when you make mistakes!!!! Most of the time, no one will ever know.

I have friends make video's of some of our shows, and sometimes I'll make a mistake that I would think blew the whole song, but when I watch the video, I can hardly even tell it's there!

7. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I'm just worried, I wont have my amp there, I'll be using a GK head and a hartke cabinet cuz they want "thunderous" bass....like my peavey rig can't do that. Also, I'm gonna be doing backup vocals and doing some screaming, playing a lined fretless bass, with weird lights going on. I got an idea for setup i do believe.