Battle of the basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ninefoldbass, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Fender Jazz Bass

58 vote(s)
  2. Fender P Bass

34 vote(s)
  3. Schecter Stiletto Delux-4

12 vote(s)
  1. ninefoldbass

ninefoldbass Guest

Feb 26, 2003
    Okay, so im a lefty player.. im pretty limited on my basses.. and i need a new one.. my style is rock to modern rock, some nu-metal.. punk.. you get the idea.. heavy music.. fast music.. and im trying to decide which would sound best with my Ampeg B-2R and Hartke 410BX cab, (soon to get another 410 or 115).. but my three choices are a Fender Jazz or P.. or a schecter Stiletto Delux 4.. the Schecter is active, and the Fenders are standard series, and passive.. what do you think is best for me? ...and why? THANKS!!
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Dont have a clue... Only you can answer that.

Because noone else can tell you what's best for you. Go out to music stores and try these basses and see for yourself which one will best suit your needs..
  3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    what prog said...

also consider an essex... truly great basses for the money... better than the standard jazzes and i am a gig fan of those!
  4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I voted Jazz because I have one. However what the other guys said is more true than anything else we can say. Go play these instruments and decide which on speaks to you. That is the only true test and the only way you will know which one to get into a relationship with (just tell the significant other if you have one :D ).

I tried one of the Essex basses that Stingrayguy mentioned and they are incredible for the price. Make that an option for your investigation. The new Squires are also surprisingly good. Don't limit yourself.

5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I play lefty also, and one option you should consider is a MIA Hot Rodded P bass. One can be had used for 500 - 700 dollars. But you MUST try both P and J to decide which neck you are confortable with. I am going to visit Rondo in April to check out Essex and Brice too. They have a large selection of leftys there!
  6. ninefoldbass

ninefoldbass Guest

Feb 26, 2003
    i just was wondering which one does my style the best, from what your knowledge of each is... i see a lot of j basses around.. and i see a lot of p's.. but the schecters are supposed to be nice too...
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Well I can tell you what's good for you! Get a Fender Jazz bass or I will have you "dealt with"! Notice that there are no smiley faces in this post.
  8. The P has a pretty heavy sound, try that, also if you have the money look into a Warwick
  9. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Schecter. The c-4 sounds awesome at least.

Mar 9, 2003
    It all depends on how much you're willing to spend on it. Music Man makes left stingrays, and if you're willing to spend the extra couple hundred bucks, I'd go for it. I'm not lefty myself but they do make them for lefties. They always give you a great sound.
  11. Im in the same situation (left-handed rock-type bass player looking around) What I plan on doing in the next few months is looking for a used warwick or stingray on ebay or somewhere...Its nice seeing them on ebay because nobody ever buys them so there isnt much price competition...

There is a lefty stingray 5 on ebay right now that will end in a few hours (BRAND SPANKIN NEW) for $950.00US because nobody has bid on it yet! It happens all the time...Leftys have the ebay advantage (when its there for the taking)

A lefty neckthrough 80's warwick streamer (beautiful condition w/ flight case) sold on ebay about a week ago for $725.00US. AMAZING! (and beautiful)

(I dont have a link for this one but a left handed warwick corvette six string sold on ebay about a month ago for about $800)

Its all there, but you have to have timing and patience......go ebay.
  12. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Given the three choices that you gave us...

It's gotta be the Jazz Bass because the two pick ups will give you more versatility with regard to your tone options. The neck is slim and easy to play. It's the best looking of the three IMHO.

All this is coming from a guy who played P basses from when he was 14 until his late 20s. The funny thing is that I'm thinking about buying one of those Essex P basses from Rondomusic!
  13. I voted for the P-bass because I think it will sound the best for your style of music.

That said, instruments are always more of a 'feel' thing so I'd choose whichever one I like best from that standpoint. You could get just about any sound out of any of them with a little work.
  14. from your description it sounds like you'll have more use for a jazz. IME schecters are awful.
  15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    If you want the advice, get the J. You can always add a J-Retro later if you feel the need for an active preamp.
  16. I voted for the P-Bass because I like the neck of the P better than the J. I like the tone of both the P and J. I really can't comment on the Schecter but I'm sure it's great. You're really not going to go wrong with any of these choices.
  17. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I voted for the jazz bass. 2/4 of my basses are Jazz Basses or Jazz styled [1 4 string & 1 5 string]. I'm not a lefty though. The neck on the jazz was great when i was first starting & still is a great neck, not used to the finish on it any more [i moved up to a StingRay5] though. I definately think that a Jazz bass can pull it's own in rock-metal-punk stuff. IMO you can't go wrong with a fender unless you are dumb enough to get one that feels/sounds bad to you. When i first started i was in a "band" [quotes due to now that i look back it wasn't much of one] that did mainly Limp Bizkit, Manson, and other styles of rock that focused on the heavier sides and the jazz allowed me to go from a nice growly/grindy tone to a round tone with ease. If you go with the fender you can always mod it later and have an even better bass for less than the cost of the next on up. Thats all
  18. Everyone needs a P!!!:cool:

But honestly, I'd say go for the P, maybe the J...definately look into an Essex, I have a fretless Jazz (I wish it would have been a P-bass, but oh well). Definately consider a Warwick Standard series, the passive ones. They are rockin'! The only thing they don't sound good with is slapping, and from the sounds of it, you won't be doing too much of that.
  19. Bassratt

Mar 30, 2003
    I own both a jazz fender and a warwick thumb bolt on and think that both come in lefty form. The p-bass has a thicker neck over the jazz and with the warwick and the jazz you can set the pickups alittle more than the p- bass i can only imagine that more companies do offer left handed basses so you really need to run up and down the road or on ebay or the company sites for more help. I think the jazz would be good as there are some really nice pickups out there for thoughts. Ratt
  20. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a few Ps and a couple of Jazzs' and the P bass is more versital to what I think a bass should sound like. YMMV, but since you asked for our opinions...

Play as many basses as you can. Music Mans (men?) are great as well. Since a bass is a financial investment and a time investment, the up front work will be worthwhile.

Good Luck.