Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Battle of the Canadian Bass Manufacturers...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zentner, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Ok, so i've basically narrowed it down to...

1. Dingwall Z2

2. Fbass BNF5

As I can get either of these basses pretty easily, here in Edmonton, as there just happens to be a main distributor of each here.

I'm absolutely lovin' the body style, and whole look of the Fbass, but I'm not sure about quality. I'm REALLY shocked by how incredable the Fbass' finish is. It just seems like the Dingwall has got better woods going for it, and the 37" B is always a plus. I mean... on paper... a 5 piece neck, and 3 piece body look alot nicer than the Fbass stuff, but I just can't get over how beautiful and original the Fbass looks. Also, I'd like this sucker to be fretless, and have a deep tone, not so focussed in the mids. Looking at an ebony fingerboard.

I'd be using it for mainly fingerstyle and slap, about half and half the time.

To be honest... I haven't even played either of these basses, and I DEFINATELY intend to quite a bit before I order either, but I'd like to try and get a feel for what each bass is like in the real world, and how it stands up to the competition.

2. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    great basses, huge low end, real like fodera sounding low notes if not better. the only problem i found was it wasnt that stong on the highs (so slap wasnt to hot) but i was also playing an older version. if there available to you go play both, try the dingwallas with fd3 pups, there supose to have better high end.

also a while back sheldin posted a thing with sound clips with fd3's try to find it my man. good luck

3. Play em...bottom line
    they are both amazing basses and both sound huge. Both have excellent B'strings and awesome tones. You gotta figure out which one is for you. I found the necks on the Dingwalls more comfortable for me. But I have played only one Fbass and it sounded different than a Dingwall, not better not worse, just different.
    I thought the B string sounded fuller on the Dingwall (I've played AbI and a Z1), and the Z2 style is setup w/ a musicman type punch. Hopefully Geoff can pipe in w/ what his impression of the z2s sound like. Sheldon posted a sound clip of what his new FD3 p'ups sounds like (in the thread entitled Dingwall sound requests), I believe its even in a Z2 test bass. Its worth a listen.

So.... time to put your ear to use and find out which ones for you and I suspect you won't be disappointed w/ either bass. If only all of lifes choices were this difficult.
    frank

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    +1

5. Ditto again.

6. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I simply must chime in on behalf of F Bass. I just took delivery last week of my new Quilt maple Top, Birdseye neck F Bass BN5. The craftsmanship and woodwork need not defend themselves to anyone. This bass is mindblowing great in all ways! I just gigged with it last night for the first time. We had been rehearsing all week, so last night was my first chance to hear it through my big rig and in a band setting in a fair sized room.

It sounded great in rehearsal, but where it really shone brightest was LIVE in the band mix! It was HUGE sounding, yet well defined, focused and possesed a lot of character and a deep, powerful, yet musicall effective punch. People in the audience commented how exceptional my F Bass BN5 "B" string sounded. I was LOVING it so much that I was almost jumping up and down. This bass does it ALL!

I have found my Desert Island Bass in my F Bass BN5. The one bass I would take with me if I was stranded on a Desert Island.

PM me if you want some high Res photo's of the outstanding quilt etc.

Good luck! - Gary

7. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    It sounds like you know what has to be done. Play 'em! Go with your hands and ears.

At the risk of sounding like an F Bass poster child. I own three of them; a studio BN6, BN6 and BF6. They're all fantastic and the build quality is excellent on all three.

-Eric

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    People in the audience know when you play your B string?

9. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Well, Ok, one of the people who commented was a musician. He simply noted that the lowest notes were like magic on the F Bass. The low notes stood out head and shoulders above the sound of my Modulus Quantum 5 which I played during the first set. And my Modulus has what is widely regarded as being one of the better low B Strings in the biz as well. It is damn nice, but my F Bass just had a LOT more tone to the low notes and an amazing amount of tonal character that corresponded to that low end punch. Very Impressive.

10. Thats a tough call. I have played both dingwalls (at axe) and f-bass (at mothers). I would hafta sit down and play both again to really decide. This is too hard to just say one or the other :) .

11. Awesome responses guys, this is only making my decision harder, hearing all these good responses from both sides :D

It's almost a good thing, because I know I can't go wrong either way.

Thanks alot to everyone who's responded, the more the merrier!!

BTW, Anyone actually have a BAD experience with either Fbass or Dingwall?

12. I noticed on the Fbass site the prices were in American funds. Since you have dealers nearby can you check if the prices are more or less than the price on the Fbass site. I figured that since they were Canadian made they would charge less but then again to make a profit they might want to take advantage of the exchange. So to even out the difference charge more in Canadian dollars. Does anyone else know what I mean? I'm just speculating here. Hopefully someone can cast some light on the subject.

13. I know exactly what you mean, and I've also thought about it alot, but not really looked into it. In my experiences in prices.. the US retail pricing is about rhe same as canadian in store pricing.

For instance... most of the crossed out "black" prices on musiciansfriend.com are pretty close to (usually within 100$) the canadian prices. I'm just hoping the prices are comparable.

Just so you all know... my budget is ... pretty much anyhting below $3500-$4000 CAN.

14. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    Once ya go JAF ya never go back. For what you're gonna spend on those basses you could have a killer handmade custom built in Nova Scotia by your own. You owe it to yourself to check their website.

http://www.pointbeing.com/jaf/

[​IMG]

15. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    Another Excellent Canadian Bass Manufacturer.[​IMG]

16. My only bad experience with FBass was not being able to buy a Caron 6 when I ordered my last BN5, because I didn't have the cash!! :D

I think you'll be happy with either one, but play em first!

If you contact George directly, he'll send you his Canadian price list - actually, the shops out west should have that info. Prices haven't changed since last year. It is still a little cheaper to buy here in Canada, but due to the slide in the US dollar the difference is much less than it used to be. Once you add taxes (15% in Ontario!), they are about the same.

17. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    F-Bass! Hands down the best bass I have played. They have the tone, the feel, and flawless build quality. Awesome basses!

18. I take it you are liking the bass.

I have to say that both are amazing basses. You have to try them out and decide for yourself which you like best.

Geoff

19. I played a trans blue F bass BN5 and a Dingwall ABII 6 string at bass central and the Fbass blew me away in the first couple seconds...however, i did like the dingwall in playability and even tho the dingwall was passive it had an incredible sound but still not comporable to the punch and attack that won me over with the F bass. Play both...they both have there strong points which will make it a tough choice but for me it would be Fbass.