Battle of the cheap auto wah synth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by barroso, Dec 2, 2003.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000

ibanez and digitech X.

have you ever tried?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    They're very different beasts.

The Bass Synth Wah isn't really an auto wah, so if you're looking for that then the SB-7 is a better bet.

Type - selects between seven different Bass Synth Wah™ effect options, including Envelope, Envelope Sub, Synth 1, Synth 2, Filter 1, Filter 2, and Octa Sub.
  3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I wasn't able to get many sounds I actually liked from the Ibanez. I have the Digitech, and really like it, but if Musician's Friend still has the Deep Impact for $99, and they'll ship over to you, I'd got for that. It is still a bit more, but the ease of use and the options it gives you make it well worth it.
  4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I've tried the Ibanez and I own the Digitech.

For variety and quality of synth sounds, the Digitech is FAR better than the Ibanez, IMHO. For bass wah/envelope filter sounds, the SB7 is better.

I really swear by the Digitech.
  5. digitech is definetly better built strong and sounds really nice plus you can tweak each of the 7 different sounds so you can get alot of varried tones out of it.
  6. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I use both of them. The SB7 is essentially a couple of envelope filters with a built in distortion circuit. Think of a wah pedal through a distortion pedal. The SB7 tracks flawlessly, because it is analog. It doesn't produce a "classic" synth sound, but the sound it does produce is entirely usable, depending on the circumstances.

The XBSW has definitely more of a "classic" synth-like sound, but it's really kind of sterile sounding in comparison to other units out there. I rate it a distant 3rd behind the (discontinued) Korg G5, and the Akai Deep Impact. The Korgs are expensive used, so if price is an issue, save a little more money and get the Deep Impact instead of the XBSW. I own and use all 4 of the pedals I have mentioned by the way.

FWIW, the XBSW is an absolutely incredible octave divider. It's worth buying it just for that function alone.