1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Battle of the cheap MUDBUCKERS: Epi EB-0 vs. Squier VM P-bass TB!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Legattabass, May 12, 2011.

1. Epiphone EB-0

34 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Squier Vintage Modified P-Bass TB

77 vote(s)
    56.6%
  3. Neither (Post alternative)

22 vote(s)
    16.2%
  4. Both! (Post reason)

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    IN THIS CORNER, THE INFAMOUS EPIPHONE EB-0!
    epiphone-eb0-bass-guitar-2.

AND IN THIS CORNER, THE PRIMITIVE TERROR, THE SQUIER VM P-BASS TB!
    telebass2.

Which is the muddier monster? Which offers more mud for the money? Which is the least likely to overheat and overmud my amp (I tried an EB-0 which, so far as I can tell, caused terminal fart-out and stove-heat in my poor little Orange Crush combo 50w!)

2. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    Can't expect much to come out of that orange combo

3. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    It's dead (or wounded) and gone :crying:

Hopefully the new 100 watt will be able to withstand the winner of this shootout.

4. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    yamaha billy sheehan

5. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    The stock pickup in the Squier is going to sound bigger & better out-of-the-box. The stock Epiphone pickups are very anemic in comparison!

However- the short scale EB-0 arguably has better potential for classic "thumpage"! You'll just need to replace the pickup with something like a Dimarzio Model One (like on the Yamaha Sheehan). The Dimarzio is a direct drop-in replacement for the EB-0 pickup and is a huge improvement in bottom end strength!

If you're looking for huge bass tone, though, I might concentrate on more amp first! Buy the most amp you can afford- upgrading your bass wont matter if your amp cant handle it.

6. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

Dec 12, 2010
    London
    For the purpose of this poll, I'd say get the Squier.

However, you are neglecting the possibility of the EB-0's long-scale cousin, the EB-3. Now she has some real thump. And needn't cost you that much more.

7. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    I've heard it neckdives like a Stuka over Poland.

8. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    whats the price range? i say a used spector legend (korean) will make those sound like toys. johnny a.

9. This...

But you could buy both the Squier AND Epi for the price of the BS.

10. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    You're to blame for this poll, Din, suggesting the VM P TB in the first place ("Dark Tone" thread). I was in the mood for cheap!

11. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

Dec 12, 2010
    London
    It does - and I have learnt from one thread that it's a deal-breaker for many people - but if you can cope with that, I have failed thus far to find any other fault with mine. I do love her so.

12. HahahaHAAaa!!

Yeah, of those two, i'd go for the Squier.

BUT, i also preffer Fender aesthetics to Gibson. But from what i've played, the quality of the VM is just so head-n-shoulders above the Epi, it would be a total no-brainer for me. :D

13. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    No chance you've seen any lurking around Fredneck? (before you say it) I'm going to call Atomic today :p

14. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    none. Gotta go for the real deal a 70's Telecaster w/ mudbucker mmmmmmuuuddddyyy!

15. Cool to see you posting round here again Johnny, still digging the legend by the looks of it.

16. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Apples and Oranges. Also, I've never heard an EB-0 or Telebass that sounded like a "toy." I know they aren't everybody's idea of a good tone, but still...

17. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    here's my test-bed:The Mudcaster
    SSPX0542.

18. Voted for the Squier just on a personal preference.
    But I'd certainly rock both.

19. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Stuka over Poland! Hnyuk, Hnyuk, good one! Buy the Squier, gorgeous. Then, wait one week and then go get the EB-0. It's small and easy to hide from the wife!:ninja:

20. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    atomic does not have one at the moment....I lurk around there all week..

also I suggest you stay away from those orange combos. Theyre nice asthetically but totally suck tonally.