1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Battle of the combos, help me!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist 4 life, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Hey, im thinking about getting a new amp. All of my choices are in the 200-300 range. I play a 5-string active Ibanez ATK, so with that in mind, i'd like some help with choosing the best one.
    Now im a noob when it comes to amps, all i have is my crappy behringer 30 watt and i prefer my old starter pack 10 watt with just bass and treble controls over it.

I'm looking at the:

Line 6 Lowdown 110 - 75 watts 1x10 25lbs

Fender Bassman 100 - 100 watts 1x10 25 lbs

Gallien Krueger Backline 112 - 100 watts 1x12 37lbs

im trying to keep things under 40 pounds, weight is important for me. i dont really want anything expensive, 200-300 range will do. I want something thats 70 watts and up. So if you have any more suggestions, shoot me.

2. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I'd get the Backline simply because I don't think a single 10" can get the job done, whereas a 12" can. Maybe if Fender or Line 6 makes a 12" combo you should take a look at them as well.

3. Bighead Kid

Bighead Kid

Jun 2, 2007
    Get the backline, but I'd look for some other other options.

4. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I've used the 112 Backline for bar gigs. Full and fat sound with my P-Bass and TI Jazz Flats. I had it turned up approximately 75% of the way. It's an organ trio (Organ, Bass, Drums). It's a decent amp. I wish it had handles on the side, but it's not a big deal.

Joe

5. Kennethfaria

Kennethfaria Banned

Mar 12, 2008
    Hey, i see you're located in Bahrain.
    Weird, i was Born there back in '91. Then moved to Canada.

In terms of how loud each would be, they would all more or less be as powerful.
    But i too would go with the GK because it has a 12". which would mean less distortion at higher volumes.

I don't know about weight, but if you could find ANY of the old Peaveys (made in USA), they would do good. only if you could find it somewhat close to you though. I'd imagine shipping to the east would be lots of dinars.

6. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    I agree with Rob Mancini. Since you're playing a 5-string, go for the larger speaker. It'll be louder too.

7. haha, thats pretty cool! I was born in 92' myself.
    ill be moving out in a year or so for college though. Might be going to the U.S. or Canada.

Anyways, yeah, shipping price is one of the main reason why i want it to be a bit on the light-side.

hmm, well i guess that the 1x12 will do since itll handle the B better.

8. buddyro57

buddyro57 me and PJ (living with the angels now)

Apr 14, 2006
    Cedar Falls Iowa
    Hi another option would be to get a used SWR workingman's 12. Its a really versatile amp, has some punch to it, might be right at the limit for weight, but the worst thing is to get an amp that can't really cut the job and I'd say that if you are playing with a drumset, none of your choices will really do what you need. I had a GK Backline 12, its a good amp for the money, but it wont reproduce the B string and it will really strain to keep up with drums. The SWR will, and you can add an extension cab if needed, your other options wont allow that.
    JS

9. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    +1
    This is a nice feature on that amp.

Joe

10. Fender Rumble 100
    100 watts
    15" speaker
    weight 60 lbs.
    $329
    [​IMG]

Ampeg BA-115
    100 watts
    15" speaker
    weight 62 lbs.
    $349
    [​IMG]

Both are a little over $300 but they are 100 watts with 15" speakers. I haven't tried the Fender Rumble but I used the Ampeg and it sounds good. I haven't used a 5 stringer with it though, I use a Geddy Jazz. Both are 60 lbs. or just over 60 lbs. Just a couple other options. I know they are a little higher in price than what you are wanting to spend.

11. Ashdown Five/Fifteen
    100 watts
    15" speaker
    59 lbs.
    $239
    [​IMG]
    I haven't tried this one either...just another option with 100 watts and a 15".

12. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    of those you listed the GK isthe most likely the best over the long hall IMO but, I too would be tempted to opt for something with a larger speaker if I were doing a lot of 5 string work. Then again the addition of an extra cab can take care of that too and give you more power and flexibility.

JKT

13. workingman is discontinued on MF
    its also out of my price range.

14. [​IMG]

15 inch speaker, 47lbs

299$

15. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I really dig the SWR combo too. I have an LA12. I use that little amp all the time. It sounds great and it's easy to use. Never had a problem with it either.

16. Kennethfaria

Kennethfaria Banned

Mar 12, 2008
    Yeah bud that last SWR should get it done.

ps. where in canada you coming to may i know some people you know. It's a small world. :p

17. zzr0ck3r

zzr0ck3r

Mar 14, 2008
    get a buddy to loan you his amp and save money untill you can afford what you want.

18. BigNoise

BigNoise

Nov 19, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    Ampeg BA115 you're gonna need at least a 12' for that low B so why not get a 15'?

19. I have an Ampeg BA-115 to get rid of. I'm thinking of trading it for a Fender Bassman 250/210 combo. The price would be right but the shipping would be a killer.

20. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    yeah, a single 10" combo won't reproduce the B very well. a single 12" might be okay for loud bedroom jamming, but won't hang with a drummer. i would always buy one step above what you need to have so you can grow into your equipment as your skill, need for volume and size of gigs increases.

although i would highly highly suggest a 15" combo, if going the 12 inch route, the SWR workingpro or GK backline might be good or a Ampeg, Carvin or Peavey too.

a used SWR workingman's 15 is a great deal. i played one for about 1 1/2 years and this was an excellent combo for up to small gigs by itself. the swr LA series is not very good IMO. I also didn't dig the line 6 stuff as the modeling/effects seemed too alter the volume and tone to radically between patches.