Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Battle of the Cost Effective Pre-Amps!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brendan, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My Eden WT-300 suffered a bit of a booboo (to coin a phrase) a few weeks ago. The High bot broke...and I'm gonna send it to Eden for repairs, but not before I get myself a pre-amp to sit in while the 300 is gone for maybe a month or more!
    And, being a kid, there isn't money rolling out the behind, you gotta go with cheap ones. But cheap ain't bad.

This gives me an excuse to post something I've been thinking about for a while! The cost effective Pre-amps! Sure, the Alembics and the Demeters are nice, but they can run you a pretty penny. So lets hear the cheap ones! Well, under 300 (new)!

Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum Bass
    Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver
    Raven Labs True Blue EQ
    Tech 21 SansAmp RBI
    Aguilar DB900
    Sadowsky Outboard (I think it's w/i the 300 range)
    (Any one know the Fodera Pre-amp cost?)

Any other contenders in the field? And, what would be the respective champion (however you would judge that...?)

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Don't laugh...

...swear you won't laugh....

....you promise???

Clique hear

You laughed!!!!! :p

(Seriously though, check one out, you should be able to find one for ~$200-250, and they sound pretty damn good)

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Peavey is nothing to laugh about.

Sure it may not be the best sounding, but it is pretty damm good for the price.

Add to that the fact that you could go through 1 Peavey amp for the rest of your life (even if youre imortal) without problems. Peavey makes great products that are built to last, at a price thats great.

Peace
    Nick

4. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    There's also that Ashly preamp from the 80's, and the Yamaha PB-1 (I have one, and it sounds pretty good but it seems to have been damaged during shipping when I bought it, so it has given me some problems.)

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the ADA MB-1 has had lots of good reviews, big name users, and go for cheap.

something like 256 patches too.

6. I second the Yamaha PB-1. Very versatile, quiet, great sounding and built like a brick. Can be had for around $100.

Cheers roDY

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey Nick,

I've got a MAX and I really think that you would be surprised at how good it's tone is. That "no tone" stereotype may have been true for a lot of their older stuff but some of their new items are breaking that mold.

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I actually saw one eBay last week that went for just over $100.00 and it looked to be in great condition.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    are you driving a power amp? cause i dunno if these drive enough line output to push one. But i vote for the Sansamp RBI rack stylie. great sounds. even if you get your Eden back, you can still use it for all the bass distorto madness you want.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    'll hot damn! What's the consensus on the Yamaha PB-1? That seems to go for 100 bucks, flat out, which seems like a steal if it's any good at all...versatile? Decent sounding? Ect?

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    IIRC Pacman used to have a Yamaha PB-1. You could ask him about it.

12. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I just got one from Ebay. I think they're excellent value. The crossover is cool if you're running 2 cabs. Here's one available now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=879880485

13. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I've got the PB-1 as well. Sounds great, easy to use, built like a tank. I would look for another if mine ever died. It's got X-over, headphone out with level, line out, DI w/level control, FX loop, all the goodies. I hooked up with mine because I realized it was the same pre-amp section as my old B100III head(minus one band of para-eq). I always loved my sound and the nice comments about how clean the pre was. When I moved up to a rack setup, I looked up the PB-1. I hear the Carvin PB-15 is another good one. They seem harder to find though. I would like to hear the Ashley BP-41 sometime, I think it may be another underdog.
    K

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've had one for years. If I were to use separates again, I'd use this in a heartbeat. It really is built like a tank... it's as heavy as some 1 space amps. One of the few smart crossover systems for biamping, you have the ability to overlap. Tons of usable features and it sounds good. Got mine for under $100 in a pawnshop.

I saw that initially you were looking for new so I didn't mention it.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I checked on the web...100 seems to be the going price for these things used. Hell, Brad, your endorsement is enough for me!

16. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Hey Gard,

Isn't that the preamp-only section of the old TMaxx head that Peavey quite building a few years ago?

I still kick myself for not buying that amp when I had the chance. I loved that amp but later decided I wanted a Carvin R600 instead which I ended up selling.

If the Max is indeed the preamp of the TMaxx, I would stand confident that it sounds great.

Chas

17. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, peter steele uses a max.

18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Indeed it is...I still have my T-Max head, I keep it as a backup. Probably the best backup I'll ever find, easily is good enough to be a "main" amp, and it was for many years. I was just ready for something different.

19. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Fodera 2000. It's a stomp box and it provides that sweet Fodera tone!

Got mine off of eBay for about $135.00 and it's been fantastic!

Looky! Here's one now!

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Peavy Max, on par with Eden? Whoa. Bold words, Gard. And confusing! PB-1 or Max...hmn...