Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Battle of the digital 4-tracks!!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by lemonadeisgood, Dec 31, 2001.

1. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    In the new issue of guitar world (please forgive me, i play acoustic guitar too), they had a article on the 2 digital 4 track recorders i've been considering. The Korg Pandora PXR4 and the Boss BR-532. Now these both look very capable of requiering my need of 3 tracks at most (guitar double tracked and vocals). I've settled on Digital over Analog since I plan on making CD's myself, and I find it easier this way.

Can I get some opinions on these? Has anyone had the pleasure of using one of them? both of them?

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i think that article makes it pretty clear on which is better. I bought the boss br-532. Its amazing to say the least. I highly recommend it. I havent gotten around to workin on cd's yet but i think thats todays project. If your an acoustic kind of guy it has one real nice feature. You can record the guitar and vocals at the same time, then you coiuld go back and record another guitar track over that. Also it has a real phat drum machine so you could play around with that also.

3. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    How easy is it to use? Is it so simple that you barely need to look at the manual? or does the manual become bathroom reading material?

4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i found myself reading the manual just for fun. Its not difficult to use but i dont think its nessicarily common knowledge either. For what you want to do it will take you about 5 minutes to figure out how to do. The manual is very straight forward. Ive learned almost everything i need to for right now and i got it for xmas. I learned to bouce tracks, so i can record up to 32 tracks, how to burn cd's off of it, how to use the drum machine and all the preamp models. I'm not a big fan of the amp models but i got the jstation to go along with it so its all good. If you have any more questions i'd be happy to answer them. just post of PM me.

5. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    If I were to use the BR-532 what other support equipment would I need to burn CDs? I have a computer with a cd burner. Would I have to upgrade my sound card or anything or can I just download the completed songs from the BR to my computer hard drive and then burn them? I don't have a clue about home recording, but would like to fool with it a bit.

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Look at www.roland.com for the BR-532 specs - someone was asking about this recently, and I remember seeing on the site that you can master to a computer or a standalone burner. But look at the site, there should be some more detailed specs.

7. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Check ou the Fostex VF-08. It is not 4 tracks...but 8. It has a pretyt decent price as well.