1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Battle of the Filters: EHX Bass Micro Synth vs. Moog Low Pass Filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bocasfx, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Get the BMS! It's totally awesome!

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Get the Moog! Best filter ever!

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Who are you kidding? You're going to get both anyway...

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  4. Don't waste your money, buy something else...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I'm gassing for a Bass Micro Synth and a Moog Low Pass Filter. What are your experiences with them? I've borrowed a BMS for a couple of hours so I can say I've used that one but I've never used a Moog LPF.

Can the BMS do the work of a Moog LPF or are they completely different pedals?

2. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    They have similarities, but I don't think either can totally replace the other. For one, the type of modulation between the two is different. The Moog has the dynamics controlled envelope follower and the BMS has the start/stop/rate controls. The Moog is a 4-pole filter, the BMS is a 3-pole. The Moog has expression pedal capability, the BMS does not unless modified. The BMS does more, but if you only need the filter sounds then the Moog may be the better way to go.

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    The BMS can get a few tones similar to a few tones of the LPF, but otherwise, they are VERY different filters. They hardly overlap in terms of tone.

The LPF has a much more extensive range of features and controls because it's a dedicated filter pedal. Plus, it has tons of options for expression pedal control.

The BMS' filter section is simpler, but that's because it's only part of the BMS' approach to analog synthesizer tones. The greatness of the BMS lies in the fact that it's not just a filter.

So... what do you need more? A complex, highly flexible filter, or a simpler filter with octave, distortion, and "slow gear" features?

4. In that case I think I need both! :D

5. +1

6. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    'Boo summed her up pretty well... I'll just drop a vote for the moog and an expression pedal... Much as a BMS would be fun and I've wanted one for a long time, I'm more than satisfied with my moog and a good fuzz.