1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Battle of the Fulltones - Bass Drive vs OCD

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by eshears, Dec 28, 2006.

1. eshears

eshears

Jul 30, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    I currently have an HBE Hematoma which sounds great solo, but doesn't seem to be cutting it for me in a band setting. I have a pretty punchy clean sound, but when I step on the Hematoma, it gets lost in the mix.

So, now I'm looking for a new, punchier OD. Hopefully something that still sounds like my tone...only growlier. I've been reading a lot of stuff on both the Bass Drive and the OCD, and they both look promising.

Lots of people have and love the Bass Drive...does it leave your tone intact and just add a little grit? It seems a little more complicated than I need...lots of different modes and the separate boost are things that I don't think that I need.

Only a couple of TalkBassers seem to be using the OCD, but I'm curious if anyone has compared it to the Bass Drive? What are the sonic differences? The OCD seems definitely simpler to use, which I like.

I've been waiting for weeks for my local shop to get the Bass Drives in (they should be in this week), but they don't stock the OCD, so I can't do a side-by-side! But, if I can get an idea of the sonic differences, it'll help me out a lot when I go to try out the Bass Drive.

Thanks!

2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Believe it or not the Bass-Drive is not complicated at all, the controls all make perfect sense and finding usable tones takes very little time. I did a big writeup on it and two other overdrives here just a few days ago. It can do the subtle thing very well, and at lower settings in FM mode leaves your original signal pretty well intact, but the overdrive itself is a little brittle.

I'm very curious about the OCD, would love to hear some samples on bass. :D

3. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    The OCD doesnt have a mid knob (only a "tone" knob). Which makes it hard to get a cutting sound. But it does have a fat sound.

Try dialing some mids on your amp? Might improve both clean and overdriven tones.

4. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    my 2 cents: :)

i used to have a bassdrive and just brought home the OCD yesterday. the bassdrive is certainly a favorite around here, so it's worth giving it a shot. i never cared for mine as it always sounded sort of blurry and mushy to me... almost too smooth but with some harshness in the upper end, and i couldn't really find a high or low gain setting that i liked. i was always fiddling with it... :confused:

the ocd on the other hand, is hard to make sound bad. it has a switch for high peak/low peak (HP/LP) which is very effective. HP gives increaed bottom end, more gain, and a bump in the upper mids around 3.5Khz. LP is less aggresive and smoother sounding. the tone knob only effects high frequencies and is pretty neutral around noon. it is one of the more useful, muscial sounding tone knobs i have encountered and sounds good over a pretty broad range depending on what you are looking for. the gain knob has a really broad range as well, and again, sounds good over the entire spectrum. at high gain settings, you can almost approach fuzz teritory. the pedal is also very quiet. there isn't any loss in bottom end, and the OCD has a very broad dynamic range and is very natural sounding. its sounds like part of the amp/bass rather than something added on to the top of the sound. turing up the tone and in HP mode especially, you will have NO problem cutting though. it can get pretty aggressive sounding if you want it to, but still sound musical doing it.

JR

5. Metropolis_488

Metropolis_488 Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2006
    Central Virginia
    I have a Bass Drive and have owned an OCD. Both great pedals. However if you want a transparent overdrive that is great in a band situation, check out the Jetter Gear Gain Stage pedal. It's the only OVERDRIVE that I know of that isn't based on a Tube Screamer (both of the fulltone's are) and it's circuit allows more of the tone of the instrument to pass through. Has much more of a tube amp clipping sound to it and it's WAY more sensative to changes in right hand attack than either of the Fulltones.

6. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Ah, so these are out now. I remember that thread, and I'm still curious. ;)

The BJFE Blue Berry is not based on a Tube Screamer either from what I understand, although I know most overdrive pedals are. Being different is reason enough for me to check any pedal out, so there you go. :D

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1

8. eshears

eshears

Jul 30, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    I have an Eden rig that already has some mid bump (which I like). The think that Hematoma just rolls off too much of the high end for my taste.

Metropolis, how do you think the Bass Drive and OCD compare? I don't really care if they're based on Tube Screamers or not...I just care that it sounds good.

9. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i haven't had a chance yet to test my OCD out in a full band setting (i should soon, though), so i can't comment on that. but alone, it does sound remarkably nice. i'll post more info when i've got it.

10. Metropolis_488

Jun 12, 2006
    Central Virginia
    IIRC, the OCD had less treble rolloff and a tighter lowend...but the same flavor of tone as the Bassdrive. I didn't find either to be transparent when the effect is on (though I will admit, it's been a while since a played the OCD), that's not to say that they don't sound good, because I think that they both sound great.

11. When are you going to get one, and when do we get to hear bass samples?

The guitar ones sound good, but I am sure we all wanna hear the low end :)

12. Metropolis_488

Jun 12, 2006
    Central Virginia
    If your talking about the Gain Stage, I still don't have one. I know that the first batch sold out the first day it hit the Guitarfetish website (VERY unexpected, but very good). That was the first 50 pedals or so. I havn't spoken to my brother in a few weeks, but I know that they are under the gun to hammer them out ASAP due to a growing back order. Not sure, where they are at now, but I wasn't about to ask him to send me one when they are racing to build more units to sell (and I told him that I would buy it from him).

He did mention the possability of a bass version in the future, however i can tell you that the current version sounds amazing with bass- no low end loss at all.

Sorry, I am not trying to hijack the thread. I love the fulltone lineup and think that you will not be disappointed with either the Bassdrive or the OCD.

13. Both are great. I own the Bassdrive for several years now and I find it to be a really simple and effective pedal. The OCD is nice too as a less complex pedal but I find it loosing a little lowend. The tone knob on the Fulltone Bassdrive has quite a big sweep so you can add some cut if you like. The CompCut modes works charming on tube preamps/amps as some sort of a clean boost. Very little drive in that mode. FM is is 'full-range' and sounds good. I also like the 'Vintage' mode... it sounds a little more vintage :) haha (less highs, ...)

Something you guys also need to consider is the importancy of the amp you are using with the Bassdrive. I had an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro (aka a hybrid) and it performed quite good on it. Later I switched to an all tube amp and now it outwins EVERY other overdrive pedal I try.
    On solid states amps it works nice too. It's VERY capable of mimicing that overdriven tube amp tone...

You people tell that the Hematoma cuts sime highs; I wouldn't propose the EBS Multidrive then since that one too cuts some highs. I sold mine for that reason although the overdrive sounds are quite perfect.

14. Metropolis_488

Jun 12, 2006
    Central Virginia
    Yeah, I had an EBS Multidrive, it sounded great (treble bleed didn't bother me so much) but I got rid of it for the Bassdrive because the fulltone is true bypass and the EBS is not.
    I'm annal about that.

15. I doubt there's anyone out there that can actually HEAR that the EBS isn't true-bypass. The bypass on that pedal is quite great; no need to bother.

16. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1, EBS bypass is excellent.

17. eshears

eshears

Jul 30, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Alright, well I finally got into the music store to try the out Bass-Drive and the OCD (I'm not sure why they told me they didn't stock the OCD before?), and compare them head-to-head with my Hematoma. What did I come home with? The Bass-Drive...for me, it was the hands-down winner.

Everything that everyone has been saying about Comp-Cut mode is right...it's the shizzle! It was exactly what I was looking for in keeping my original tone in-tact while adding a bit of OD grind. Fantastic. The FM and Vintage modes sound great, too, for just a little or a lot more dirt. There didn't seem to be much difference in these 2 modes (I still need some more time with this pedal), but FM seemed more full-range and Vintage seemed to bump the mids more and roll off the highs (I could, in fact, cop a decent Hematoma tone in Vintage mode...although it still had a bit more bite).

At first, there didn't seem to be much difference between Mosfet and Normal modes, either...but after experimenting a little more, Mosfet mode seems to add just a touch more warmth and low end, and also seems to be more touch-sensitive than Normal mode...a definite plus. I will probably keep it in Mosfet mode most of the time.

I didn't spend too much time with the OCD, since I had already been playing the Bass-Drive for 45 minutes before I realized that they even had the OCD in stock. For me, it just couldn't compete with the Comp-Cut mode of the Bass-Drive. At lower drive settings, it reminded me a little of the DOD 250 (although, it's been awhile since I've played the DOD).

So, this weekend is the true test in a live setting. If the Bass-Drive sounds half as good with the band as it did by itself, my poor Hematoma will have to find a happier home.

18. Trust me it rocks in a live band setting. I've been using mine for years in my band and it performs and sounds a thousand times better then at low-volume at home. Enjoy yours!