Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Battle of the Incubus Bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by xcental34x, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Dirk Lance

53 vote(s)
    88.3%
  2. Ben Kinney

7 vote(s)
    11.7%
  1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Who's lines do you like better, Dirk Lance or Ben Kinney. This one for me is a know brainer. Dirk Lance is who inspired me to start slapping. That solo in "Redefine" is simply amazing. Now they kicked him out and [Mod Edit] replaced him with a new player of a different style that I dislike [/Edit]

2. They both are amazing in their own rights, Dirk inspired me to first start playing bass a few years ago, but Benny Kenny is one hell of a musician. He plays something like 9 instruments and is according to mike einzinger "a better guitarist than he (mike) is." Benny probably knows alot more theory than dirk and is overall a better musician, as for bassist, benny's lines are somewhat creative and he just has a different "style" than dirk, thats all. Just my two cents.

-Ryan

3. HooBass

HooBass

May 27, 2003
    NC
    I would vote for "both" or "tie" if I could. In lieu of that I voted Ben Kinney for the reason that I think he deserves great kudos. I have found his lines interesting, great tone, very supportive, and flashy when they need be.

I've also liked Dirk's lines a lot, and he simply strikes me as a different player -- While supportive, a little bit more emphasis on being up-front. Very noticable exploration of a wide variety of tones and styles.

Of course, there's no right and wrong. Ben's style is just where my mind is at right now.

HooBass

4. Futterman

Futterman

Feb 12, 2003
    uranus
    Both

I'm also diggin alot of ben's basslines on the Time Lapse Consortium cd/project thing he did, pretty funky stuff.

5. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    i liked incubus better when they were called Faith no more.

i saw them open for primus a while back, but i don't remember if they were any good.

6. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I liked Dirk's sort of aggrofunk bent on the older stuff (Science, etc) but I guess if they plan on doing more of this laid back stuff, Kenney will work out better. I liked Time Lapse, it was what it was, and I liked Incubus before they put out Mornign View, but I think the new one is a bit of the worst of both worlds.

7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I was pleasantly suprised with Ben's playing on the new album, but I don't think he's in the same league as Alex(Dirk), so this is a no-brainer for me, Alex is much better. I believe one of the main reasons Alex left the band is because the other guys were getting pissed with him stealing all the attention, so they decided to go mellow and it pretty much drove Alex out of the band. He was a big fan of the old stuff. Ben's a simpler player, not very technical, so he fits in perfect with the new stuff, plus, he's not so flashy and won't steal anyones attention.

8. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    alex was asked to leave the band due to ongoing issues he had with the band mostly with brandon alex would allways show up late to rehersal and complain alot and storm out when thigns didn't go his way he was like this from day one and the band finaly had enough of it

9. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The Alex split was mutual. He left as much as they wanted him out. Having known these guys since High School, Alex was very much the guy who came up with the main groove to all of the songs, then the rest of the band came up with their parts after that. Things really started to change right after the SCIENCE album. They got a lot more popular, and their marketing people realized that Brandon was the person they had to put their focus on. Sony had them change producers at that point to the guy who worked with REM. At that point the band changed to fucus on Brandon and Mikey's playing. The result was evident with Make yourself and even more so with Morning View. Alex was very opinioated about the song writing, and he could see that he was being fased out. He used to be the bands spokesperson untill Make Yourself as well, which then became Brandon and Mikey jobs. Plus Alex likes to party, and the rest of the guys aren't really into it as much. They would rather just smoke dope all day!

10. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Finger-pointing over why Dirk left aside (verification please? WOuld like to confirm what actually happened...) I'm given to understand part of it was that was also due to him wanting to keep playing old stuff of theirs not just the FM Radio stuff like Warning. Dirk was a lot more fun to listen to, all in all....much more adventurous.

11. well, i hate to say that i haven't heard much of incubus' earlier stuff (pre-morning view) but from what i hear when i listen to incubus' stuf, is that the two bass players play two different styles of music. i don't see how we can decide which one's better. I think it's like deciding between Jaco and Marcus Miller for greatest bass player, when although they both do jazz, one is fingerstyle, and the other is slap.
    past all that i picked ben kinney, because although i really like pardon me, i think meglomaniac is closer to the genre of music i usually listen to.

Charlie

12. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    This is so funny! I was listen to A Crow Left... yesterday in the truck, and thought "Wow, some of this stuff reminds me a lot of Faith No More!"

Glad to see I'm not crazy.

I thought Make Yourself was fantastic. I haven't heard all of SCIENCE, but what I've heard was fantastic as well.

Morning View was just so-so, and Crow is a little better in spots but some of it's again just so-so.

Thus, I voted for Dirk.

Ever notice that the guy with more theory/training seems to be less creative? He can play, for sure, but maybe Dirk-buddy woulda though of a completely different line...

13. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I love science.MYS is good enough and Mornin View is very good too.I have to get a copy of A Crow..... so I don't know

14. Feda

Feda Screwed up pitch

Jan 12, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    I find Dirk to be a much better bassist. Som of you say that Ben is more educated, plays several instruments and therefor makes interesting lines. Does it really matter if a musician plays several instruments, or knows his theory? Dirk makes in my ears much better, groovy,more interesting lines then Ben, and that's what counts.
    The songs on the new album do not sound like something that should be released by a great band such as incubuc. This shows that bass players really can change a bands sound.

15. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Dirk Lance for me. Ben Kinney is cool, I dig their new stuff but I still miss Dirk alot.

16. walkinglines30

walkinglines30

Oct 30, 2003
    What bass's does Ben use?

17. A four string Lakland Joe Osborn with Lindy Fralin passive pickups.

18. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    You sure? In a recent article I read he uses an Epiphone Jack Cassady and A Fender MIA Jazz

~Patrick

19. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Yes, In the most recent interview that he did in Bass Guitar Magazine, he says that he's using the JO. In a prior Bass Player Magazine article however, he did say that he was using the Cassady on tour.

20. That BG article is where I got my information.