Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Battle of The Jazz Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Fender Geddy Lee

49 vote(s)
    26.2%
  2. Fender Marcus Miller

30 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. Fender Classic 60's

47 vote(s)
    25.1%
  4. KSD v60

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  5. KSD v70

12 vote(s)
    6.4%
  6. Lakland Joe Osborne (Until I Find Out The Price)

48 vote(s)
    25.7%
  1. well after trying out a few non jazz bass basses ive really discovered that jazz basses feel like home, i mean, i dont mind playing other basses and stuff, but jazz basses fit like a glove (then stingrays :p ).....and ive just been looking at more jazz's, thinking what 4 string to start really considering...another time wasting poll.....im playing mainly covers, will be venturing into some funk/jazz/soul stuff soon, kinda george benson and marcus miller stuff

P.s..no sadowsky's, cant justify or afford that much, or see the point

2. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Geddy!

3. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    There's one missing from your list. After trying most of the one's on your list, I settled on a Blade Tetra. The only bass on the list that came close was a Geddy Lee.

4. 75 re-issue is missing from your list!

thats my pick, i own one

5. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Oh hell, if you're going to buy a Jazz, why not a Custom Shop 64 NOS? Really.

Jack

6. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    where's victor bailey !!!

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Picked up a Hotwire Vintage 4 string that was handmade in Germany with a J-Retro preamp, bassass II, custom pickups etc for $1500Aus in Melbourne. Less than a used Geddy Lee. That would be my pick!

I'd put it up against any Jazz bass on the market. It is that good.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I think he's trying to stay within a certain price range.

9. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I haven't played everything on your list... but I like the geddy lee best of the few that I have played. I have a MIJ '75 reissue that's very similar to the geddy lee and by far my favorite bass.

Passive J with Maple board = True love.

10. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Cool selection...

i'd go classic 60's with outboard sadowsky preamp for slappin fatness... or the geddy - really nice then neck (or the marcus, or...):)

That Hotwire was a oneoff order to evaluate them from my understanding... retails about 4,000 i think... i've seen one other 5 string and it wasn't cheap...

and heath, i know you love your ksd and you can't see the point of a sadowsky, but i bought a sad uv70s metro and i totally love it, was worth it for me... but then i haven't played a ksd so its hard for me to compare would be cool to compare one day... hopefully i can make the next sydney TB get-together!

11. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    ah Heath, Just get yourself an SX, You know you want it LOL

12. a 75 ri would be perfect, but that's $3000 i dont want to spend, ive played the blade a few more times, and the tone, well, its just not there, its really thin and well, not to my tastes, although it might just be the one in stock ATM, the victor bailey is around the $3500-$4000 mark itself..

ive never even heard of hotwire to be honest

the main reason i dont even look at sadowsky's is the price, i mean, if i WAS going to spend that much on a jazz id get a fender custom shop RI, or proper vintage fender..

the price range im looking at is less than $2000aus....and by the looks of it, the skyline joe osborn is more than that as well:meh:

the other brand i forgot was moon, and the only thing id really wanna mod with any of them is to put some bartolini pups in them

13. i just saw a pic of a fender classic series 60's in white with a red tort pickguard...mmmmmmmmmm

14. Hmm, i think id go with the classic 60's. The vintage jazz bass vibe is too cool.

15. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    You can’t beat the Geddy Lee for the money.

16. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    For $2000Aus you get anything short of a Sadowsky. Just pick a nice bass used from TB examples:

Geddy Lee Jazz - $450-550US tops

Fender American Jazz $750US

Skyline Joe Osbourne $750US+

Used Mike Lull $1200-1500US

All of those could be in your hands for less than $2k. But, if you go down to the bassplayer in Sydney I have a 90's Fender Jazz with a J-Retro on consignment there. If you like it let me know and i'll work something out with you on the price.

Its a great playing bass but once I had the Hotwire, it just wasn't necessary.

17. im not too keen on the j-retro, after something more of the bartolini department, but thanks anyway....and im not too keen on getting my next bass from overseas again (unless its a ksd, i know thats worth it), id rather walk in a store with cash and walk out, or in case of a geddy lee order one (newcastle sux)...looking at the musicians warehouse website (alans music) i can get a brand new classic series 60's for $1450
    http://www.musicianswarehouse.com.au/default.aspx?Pg=21&ProductCode=013-1800-300
    which if i were going to go that one id put some EMG's in there...but the geddy would get barts
    http://www.venuemusic.com.au/Products.asp?ProdID=609
    $1839

those j-retro preamps really dont appeal to me, too many knobs...either vol/vol/tone or vol/bal/bass/treb is enough for me

i dunno, the classic series is cheaper

18. i think its comin down to these two
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the 60's has the "opposite" jazz tone compared to my 70's jazz, and im not 100% how the geddy would sound, half way between the two i guess

19. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Heath the cost of those basses here is ridiculous. A mexican jazz (ie a 60's classic) should cost you no more than $350US used. Total including shipping into your hands in Aus would be under $650Aus. You would have to pay $1450 for a new one.

A Geddy Lee should set yout back no more than $550US - about $900 Aus shipped into your hands. Why pay $1899 for one here? At that money if you dont like it you can sell it and come out on top!

20. yeah, but im an impatient little kid,but i know if i buy a brand new one here ive got warranty at least and some slight peace of mind..i mean, i got the ksd from brian barrett, he had to replace the preamp just before he sent it to me, i was a little uneasy about that, what if i got it, 6 months later the pre dies, im a 1st year apprentice, i cant exactly afford to send the bass back to brian to get it fixed or whatever...plus id like to get something that isnt seccond hand, off ebay, from overseas and wait over a month for it...im working two jobs and gigging now, i dont wanna scrimp around for the most cheapest possible deal...i dunno, im just tired n cranky and thinking back to the torture of not having a bass while i sent my kubicki and waiting for the ksd, i didnt like the waiting game....

the cost of any bass here is rediculous, but i guess thats the price i want to pay to live in the greatest country on earth, ill buy from my local , keep them in buisness instead of keeping someone i dont know overseas going