1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Battle of The Lightweight Heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jul 31, 2007.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    In my estimation it would breakdown like this...

#1 LMII
    #2 AI Focus
    #3 EA Iamp300
    #4 Eden WT260

Feel free to dispute my ranking, but that's how I feel. To me the LMII is the clear winner and that's why I bought one today. :)bassist:)

2. kimal

kimal

Jul 23, 2007
    you bought one today?? so did i!!

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yup. At a little over 6LBS it sounds fantastic. I plan to buy a Warwick Rockbag bass bag and slip it into its large external pocket. Then it will feel like I dont even have to move an amp during load in / out.

Plus I'm getting a new schroe 1212R to go with it... should be magic time!

4. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    How would you say the WWU fits into this?

I prefer it over the Focus and the LMII, myself.
    But the LMII is a killer head. Congrats on your new amp!

5. the Eden needs to double its watts IMO

It was a blunder like "New Coke" to put that one out IMO. They had to have seen Markbass coming.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I've been using the LMII with a 1212, great pair!

7. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I just wish the Markbass heads were stable at 2ohms :(

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Well that's at least 3 LMII's sold on TB today then.

I've got another amp that I have to decide is going to stay or go in short order and the LMII was the chosen standard for comparison, given one was available. Not really very fair comparison cause the cab is going to factor in significantly so it's really a comparison using a LMII/GS112. Been interesting so far. More work than fun actually.

9. While my LMII does not put out quite the absolute volume of my WW Ultra, I find it warmer and fatter sounding, with a more pleasing mid response. The Walter is obviously wonderful, but for EB, the LMII just seems to have more booty to me.

And, the SD800 BURIES the Walter IME... it's the same weight as the Walter, but about another 1/3 as large. Much more powerful, chest thumping low end than the Walter, and a mid and treble response a little bit closer to the Walter than the LMII, again IMO. It's 1/2 the price of a new Ultra, and has a very nice DI also, which is a nice feature to have (the newer Walters only have a 1/4" line out.).

10. Are these ratings based on actual use (thought you had a Focus SA)?

Joe

11. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    Hey Veganbass, I'm curious what weight you gave to factors like tone, power, features, weight & price.

I also bought an LMII yesterday, and while it is a very impressive amp with power for days, I'm not sure that I'll end up keeping it. Maybe I just need to run a tube pre in front of it, I'm still getting comfortable with the eq, but I'm wishing I could dial in some very subtle overload-type character. I can see where jazz & funk players would go crazy for the LMII, just not sure if it's right for me.

12. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    My unscientific conclusions are based on reputation, weight, cost, tone and power. I dont know of many people who are actually happy with their 260 (unless you go on the eden forums... they are eden fanatics!) The Iamp300 has had issues right out of the gate. I love EA cabs but I have heard WAY too many issues about their heads. I used to own an AI Clarus and while great, it wasnt really suitable for electric rock bass without a sabddi in the effects loop (which is bypassing the pre of the amp so essentially what's the point?). The tone, versatility, relative low cost for amount of watts and low weight of the LMII all contribute to its number one spot in my mind.

I tried one about a year ago and wasnt impressed. But then about 4 weeks ago I gave it another whirl based on all the hype here on TB. Once I fooled with the tone shaping features I found some very nice tones.

I like my Focus SA rig but aside from the poweramp itself I had about 3 other pedals in there. Each with its own walwart. These walwarts by themselves are no big deal, but put together they arent ideal. You have all that weight plus you need a powerbar to run them all. Then there is the mess of cables attaching the whole schmozzle together. I had the whole thing in a briefcase and it was fine. Weighed 12LBS in a nice self-contianed unit. Ultimately, the LMII is just simpler which to me is almost always better.

Essentially the LMII will *probably* be my practice head I take to my band's weekly rehearsal. Its ideal for that for sure. Once I take possesion of it and have time to get to really know it, it may become my number one and bump down my Carvin B800. A part of me hope it does, as its significantly lighter and probably just as powerful as the b800. But I really dig the B800 so we'll see I guess.

13. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    As a satisfied B1500 owner who is looking for an easily-transportable head to drive acoustic basses through an EA VL208, I look forward to reading your comparison of the B800 and LMII.

Subscribed

14. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    You might want to PM SMASH. He owns both the LMII and B1500. From what he has told me he likes the LMII but prefers his B1500.

15. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    How about the Genz Benz NEO-PAK?

16. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Smash, is it the voicing, the wattage or a lack of that 'big transformer grunt' that's making the difference for you with the LMII?

17. Just a side note here. Obviously, the 500 watt LMII is not meant to replace a monster like the B1500. However, I had the pleasure of A/Bing the LMII and B800 briefly, and they are pretty evenly matched IMO. Given that the LMII is 1/3 the size and 1/3 the weight, you know what my choice is. However, if any of you can find a B800, it has even a better price/performance ratio than the LMII... very impressive head. I think if Carvin had put that head in a two space rack mount format, they would have had a bid seller there.

The more 'appropriate' comparison to the B1500 is the SD800. While the voicing is different, I actually sold my Glockenklang Heart Rock (a three space lead sled similar in spec's to the B1500) when I received the SD800. This is the first lightweight amp (about 7 pounds) that I've owned that has 'lead sled' credentials to my ear. It's a little more 'modern' voiced than the B1500, but it's a killer regarding low end oomph. Pretty impressive, although twice the cost of the amazing B1500.

18. The Neo pack, while lightweight, is quite a bit larger than what most would consider 'micro amps' (which seems to be the criterion in the original list). The neo pack is more similar in size to the Thunderfunk, Walkabout, Eden WT550, iAmp500, and the MB SD800, although it is very lightweight (about a pound more than the SD800, but less than half the weight of the other 'mid sized' amps). The lower power rating would still put that amp lower in either the Micro amp, or 'small amp' list for me, although it looks like a nice unit.

Regarding the Eden260, I just heard one of those again. With a player playing at only moderate volume, that thing was going into this very ugly 'hard clip/safety limiting' mode. This amp is not anywhere in the same league as the Focus/Clarus, LMII, Walter Woods group of micro amps IMO.

I'm looking forward to hearing the EA300, but again, given the low power rating, and the continued production/design issues they seem to be having with that head and also other heads in their line, I agree with the poster above... I would avoid EA amplification personally.

19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Vegan: do yourself a favor, and go with the L series 1212. Killer cab, lots lighter. Not as "deep biased" as the 1212R tho, so if that's yer bag, stick.

Jazzdog; the Carvin B series heads did not work well for me with upright. Not clean nor natural sounding enoug, and I really missed having the more flexible eq of something like TFB, Eden, or the Mesa Walkabout. YMMV, but I knew within 5 minutes it wasn't gonna work for me, for that purpose.

20. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The Neopak is a pretty nice little bit of kit, but as noted is "bigger."
    More like the Mesa Walkabout.

Noteworthy of the Neopak is 2 ohm capability.