Battle of the (semi-hollow) Bodies

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimBobBass, May 5, 2021.

1. JimBobBass

JimBobBass

Dec 9, 2020
    UK
    I am looking to buy a hollow or semi-hollow bodied bass.
    I want that warm semi-acoustic sound, but still need clarity.
    No muddy sounds thank you. I had an Ibanez Artcore AGB200 but found the production values really poor - it would have cost me a packet to get the frets properly fixed. The tone pot is pretty weak. I part-ex'd it.

So, tone clarity and decent quality build are what I am looking for. Here are the possibles. Your views greatly appreciated.
    • Epiphone Jack Casady
    • Guild Starfire I - (the Starfire II is a bit out of my budget)
    • Gretsch Electromatic G5440LSB - hollow and fat
    • Gretsch G5442BDC - thin and short scale (I am fine with shortscale)
    • italia maranello cavo (a bit hard to find in the UK)
    • Reverend Dub King - looks super cool, but it seems to have quite a muddy tone
    • Chowny CHB-2 -
    Thoughts?

2. You mentioned not wanting a muddy sound, the Epiphone J.C. is an excellent choice, on a similar note would be a Gibson Midtown hollowbody. (2 pickups instead of one). The Guild's and Gretsch's are nice as well. Do your homework and compare the features.

MynameisMe and droo46 like this.
  3. TJIann

TJIann Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2020
    Maryland
    Also for consideration the Epiphone Allen Woody signature.

el jeffe bass likes this.
  4. JimBobBass

JimBobBass

Dec 9, 2020
    UK
    Thanks - but is the Allen Woody not solid body,, rather than semi?

5. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Be kind. Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax, Florida
    I had the Jack Casady and no feedback whatsoever with a meaty tone to match a P bass but kind of woody sounding.

6. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    gretsch is the only fully hollow, so that one. i would say epiphone allen woody is a good option as well, it's a sealed hollow body but it is still hollow and thumps.

7. TJIann

TJIann Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2020
    Maryland
    Semi hollow. No f holes.

8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    The DiPinto Belvedere fits the bill perfectly. It has a semi-hollow mahogany body, and several elements that add clarity and keep it out of the mud zone, like single coil pickups, 34" scale, and ebony fretboard. It definitely brings the semi-hollow thud, but stays clear. Just outstanding tone IMO, both live and recorded.

Unfortunately it's been out of production for a few years, and might be difficult to find.

webspeare likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021