Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Battle to Ozzfest joke

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by adam on bass, Oct 26, 2004.

1. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Did anyone see this show last night. Nothing against any new metalers on this forum, but come on. I remember when metal was cool and fun. Now it's how low can you growl and meke the lyrics as discernable as possible. I TiVO'd it and played it back and closed my eyes when they were playing the clips of the bands they picked back and only one sounded different(the kids from Kentucky). What happened to REAL metal.

I was watching it to hopefully catch the next Priest, or 80's Ozzy for that matter. There was a fine blonde on the show though, nice breastsis'.

2. It's called "chasing a trend" and "lowest common denominator!"

3. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Let me just save everyone the trouble....

Anything on MTV is going to suck. SO DONT BE SURPRISED.

Thank you for your time.

4. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Dang, I missed that. I need to take notes so I know what not to do. MTV is corrupting metal AGAIN. The first time was the 80's glam BS. Then it recovered, slapped itself, and said a collective F you to the mainstream. Now MTV is pushing all this metrosexual emo'ish metalcore crap on us and all these trendy pretty boy prep metal bands are popping up.

:scowl: X 10,000

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I was amazed, I was watching that radio music awards and they were talking about bands with new albums and stuff. WHY ARE LINKIN' PARK AND GODSMACK STILL MAKING MUSIC!!

That BTW sounds exactly the same as what got them big. I thought Nu died? :meh:

6. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    me too.

7. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I agree. I don't even know what "Metal" is anymore anyways. There are so many sub-catigories I can't keep track. And the funny part it, the "Metal" and "hardcore" kids fight, argue, and bicker over which bands are in which catigory, and how the other catigories suck.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    which would be exactly why i stick to the stuff from Pantera and such.

-Mike

9. outpatient

outpatient

Oct 26, 2004
    Dallas.Tejas
    I know the guys from A Dozen Furies. Actually just saw them play a show last Sat in Dallas. I think they are the ones to beat...they are not Nu-metal and they put on one hell of a show.

Good band and cool guys.

10. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Ahhh, that show is terrible. How did they chosse those bands in the first place? Makes me feel like metal is just the newest hop on the band wagon and get paid trend. I think a band should play out and earn the main stage on ozzfest with blood sweat and tears, like many in the past have. It shouldnt come down to a reality show like american idol.

Metal is still great though guys, come to cleveland on a weekend and check out some local bands. You would be surprised....Good metal just isnt mainstream I guess.

And the real reason I posted... Ozzfest dissapointed me alot this year, but the past 3 Jager shows I have been too havnt let me down the least. Slayer is comin to town with Mastadon and Killswitch Engage next month. Cant friggin wait!!!!

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    It was on MTV.

Dont act so suprised.

12. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Killswitch Engage rocks.

13. (is wearing his meshuggah shirt)

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm sorry, but Killswitch is fast becoming the new Dokken.

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Blood, Sweat, Tears, and money. I have heard most bands pay to play the Ozzfest tour.

16. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    HAHA! exactly!...

...I think thats why I got rid of my TV.

The coolest shows at Ozzfest 2004 were Black Label Society, Dimmu Borgir, and of course Judas Priest and Black Sabbath. Has anyone heard this Superjoint Ritual crap? Phil Anselmo should of stayed with Pantera. It was so sad seeing him live.

Oh yeah...I wish nu metal died.

17. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    OK, I'm watching the rerun even as we speak. Yes, pretty much all the finalist bands are trendy crap. But one band caught my attention: Trauma Concept. They didn't actually sound too bad.

I was really hoping that one Manowar'ish band they showed in the beginning would be on the show. Too bad.

18. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I'm gonna' revert back to your post about "US Vs Europe metal". They should stop searching in the US, and just go for the prime European metal.

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I figured once Emo got legitimacy, all genres were doomed! :bag:

20. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands

I second that motion