Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Battlestar Galactica - TNS

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marcus Willett, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Anyone hip to this; the new series on SCI-FI?

Man, I LOVE THIS SHOW! I dug the original as much as anyone. I fondly remember watching it as a 10 year old, and this show definitely is a departure. Really, really dark. I think any show about the near-extinction of a species relentlessly prusued by it's enemy SHOULD be dark. Not for kids, that's for sure. Looking forward to season 2...any other fans?

2. I love it, but of course my schedule never lets me get in on Friday, so I missed half the season...

I hear the season ender had a quite startling revelation...
    Don't ruin it here, PM me if you can...

Thanks, I'm dying to know.

3. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    If you REALLY wanna know, I can tell you. But, they're going to start re-runs Fridays @10:00 eastern starting this Friday, so you have a chance to catch up. I would recommend watching; there's so many details that me telling you about would leave out. But if you're jonesin'...

4. Yeah, I really am kinda jonesin. It's cool, I'll always watch when I can...doesn't really ruin it for me.

Oh yeah, and I LOVE how the cylon ships are sentient beings. And the look of the older cylon warrior went to these ships...terribly cool.

Smartly written show. I love how they revived the "lost episode" with the new Starbuck...

5. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
  6. !!!!!! :)

7. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I'm digging this show immensely. When I caught the reimagining last year I didn't like it at first. Guess I still thought of the campy disco version I watched as a kid with the walking toasters. :)

I'm digging it more now though. It's really dark, as a 'we're on the edge of extinction and the enemies are truly superior' type story should be. I love the cylon clones. I was shocked at what Boomer did in the last episode, but it makes sense. Won't say any more because I don't want to spoil it for anyone. :)

Needless to say, I'm anxiously awaiting July when season 2 starts.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The miniseries really disappointed me, due to all of the changes from the original. And it wasn't that well written, IMHO.

I decided to give the new series a chance anyway, and I am glad that I did.

I am hooked! This is a very good show, and the writing and character development are top notch. The acting and direction are above average too.

The show does have a very dark theme, and IMHO that makes it a lot more realistic than the original.

Boomer actually did 2 things in the finale which really caught me off guard and surprised me, not just one.

I can't wait until the new season starts.:)

9. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    I agree that the miniseries was not as good as it could/should have been, but the changes (after I got over the initial What the-? phase) intrigued me. Some of the best SCI-FI I've seen, and I really dig the whole keep-it-real vibe. Ron Moore has dwonloadable commentary at the SCI-FI website thats gives a lot of insight as well.

10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Two strikes against this show:

1. While I enjoyed the original as a kid, it was the one show I couldn't watch as I got older due to the horrible acting, horrible special effects, horrible writing, and a campyness that made the original Star Trek look like "2001: A Space Odyssey" (I love Star Trek BTW).

2. The "Original SCI-FI" programs have been absolutely horrid (and I usually enjoy even half-a$$ed Sci-Fi).

...which makes me all the more amazed at just how amazingly good this new "Battlestar Galactica" truely is.

(I can't wait until Loyd Bridges shows up with the other surviving Battlestar....:bag: )

11. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Yeah I too love this show. Season finale was awesome, and am super glad the new season isnt very far off. I think in July.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That would be quite a trick.
    Manglebaum-Manglebaum-Manglebaum.

Anyway-
    Why, why, WHY!!!
    I like this series...of what little I have actually seen. Sci-Fi runs it ONCE, at a horrible time for me(& no, I don't Ti-VO & can't even record to VHS anymore). Why don't they run this more than ONCE? Or am I missing the 'encore/repeat' performance?

My take-
    Everyone is a Cylon...& so they're only killing/exterminating themselves. That's the moral message of this show.
    ;)

Something else that made me go "***"-
    Couple episodes back, a blurb comes on sayin' "The following scene may not be suitable for certain audiences".
    ...and then that scene with Baltar having his fantasy with the Cylon hottie.
    Hey Now! That's something you don't see everyday on Star Trek!
    ;)

13. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    I'm 99% sure they do, just not sure of the time...I think it's late tho. can't program a VCR...***?

Yeah, baby! Ron Moore (and I'm more-or-less quoting here) says "This show is definitely NOT for kids. It's a show for adults, and I make no apologies for that."

Addendum: Yeah, as I thought. Checked the website, and (probably since it IS an ADULT show) it only ever shows late. Break out that VCR manual dude. ;)

14. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    You mean Spock didn't bend Nurse Chappel over his table in the "Amok Time" episode?!?
    No wonder he got so mad and threw the soup at her in the hallway. :p
    [Spock grabs crotch] "Pon-far this Nurse Chappel!!!" [/Spock grabs crotch]

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Dude, you're cruising... ;)
    My VCR is from the '80s; it's pretty much INOP. I don't intend to buy another & DVDs have spoiled me.
    FWIW, I hate tape & I have always hated tape.
    2,000+ albums, 2,000+ cds...never, ever bought a cassette tape.
    ;)

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Initial showing is on Friday at 10:00 Eastern, and again 4 hours later.

Replay is at 10:00 Eastern on Monday, and again 4 hours later.

17. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I thought the miniseries was just OK. But I think most of that was because I was expecting it to be more like the original series. Now that I've seen season one, looking back I like the miniseries even more and I'm totally stoked on the series. It's about the only Sci Fi I look foreward to now (I couldn't get into Enterprise from day one for some reason...)

So here's to hoping that BG continues on for a while. I like how it's been going so far. I've also heard that there is "at least" one Star Wars TV series in the works from Lucas, that should be ineresting.

Jimk, The DVR's with built in Hard Drives for recording are coming WAY down in price these days too. Pretty soon you should be able to get one with a 160gig HD for around $150. I've got a panasonic w an 80 gig HD and it's pretty sweet. You can record to the HD, Scan through and delete the commercials, mark some chapter points, and burn the whole thing to a CD in about 15 minutes. Quality is better than VCR tape also.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I watched the whole series a while ago on Sky Satellite TV - it was shown 2 or 3 times a week and ar various times over here so there was no problem keeping up!

I liked the character of Starbuck and the darkness and philsophical implications - but I think it's a bit of a cop-out that the Cylons look like humans, as it means they can get away with a lot of episodes with just actors! Give me weird aliens any time - like the Vorlons and Shadows in B5!! :)

I never thought I'd say it, but Dr. Who is much better now, on the alien count!! ;)

19. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Not only are many Cylons human, they're also clones. So one actor can play multiple Cylons as in the case of Baldur's lover and commander of the Caprica invasion force and Boomer/Sharon model on Caprica.

I don't care as it makes total sense that if the Cylons want to infiltrate the humans, they have to shed their metal robotic image. They also seem to have learned the advantages of organic computers (brains) and are using it to their advantage.

20. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Good show.

The grim-ness and the shakycam are jarring to see in TV sci-fi, but I like the fact that it doesn't latch on to the tired Star Trek/Star Wars space opera formulas. There are no muppets or bumpy foreheads in this show.