1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

baught it for 50$ at a garage sale, any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MusicMan16, Mar 31, 2006.

1. MusicMan16

MusicMan16

Nov 27, 2005
    hey guys, I dont know much about bass quality and really, i dont know if this was a good buy or not all i know is that its pretty damn old lol tell me what you think, i need all the info i can get for this old piece of junk, i know nothing about it, i need some help, well pretty much cuz i'm an idiot lol
    [​IMG]

2. 4x4Given

4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Be nice if you would have resized that pic to 640x480. LOL!

It reminds me of and older Tiesco. In any case, if it plays ok, you socred well. ;)

3. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    looks like a rather old fender wannabe, so could be just about anything.
    Any info about it? Anything stamped on the back of the headstock?
    Can you take the neck off and look at the heel to see if it says anything there?

4. How does it play and sound? Could be a candidate for a 'frankenbass' project!

5. MusicMan16

MusicMan16

Nov 27, 2005
    hmm, well the only writing thats apparent on this bass is on the steel plate on the back, it says made in japan

6. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    As stated, probably an old Japanese knockoff from sometime in the '70's, either a Teisco, Tokai or as Klocwerk said, some other make-believe Fender. Some of those older knock-off's were decent basses, some of them real junk, but if it works it's probably a good deal at $50.

.... and yeah, try to knock the file size down

edit: oops, see the file is re-sized ......:cool:

7. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    take the neck off and see if tis written in there....

8. MusicMan16

MusicMan16

Nov 27, 2005
    I kinda dont wanna do that because i'll prolly screw it up, mainly because i dont know what the hell i'm doing...:D

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Looks like it might be a 60's Fender ripoff to me.
    I thin it would be more accurate to say "Some of those older knock-off's were decent basses, the overwhelmingly vast majority of them real junk". Your Goya as seen in the fretless thread qualifies as the former, this thing looks like the latter to me. But hey if it makes good sound and can be set up with intonation it might be worth the $50 you paid.

10. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Yeah, I think your correction is probably right Phil .... part of the problem in trying to figure out whether these older knock-offs are any good or not is the ability to see what the body is constructed of. A lot of times you can't see that without pulling the neck and I don't think the garage sale people will let you start disassembling the bass ..... ;)

11. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Old Teisco or Kawai would be my guess too. Very smart bass. For $50, I'd say you mon the lottery. These have thousands of $ in vibe IMO but I am a big time Japanese junkie.

Enjoy this bass!

12. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    If you like the bass. You scored.

13. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    My uncle has an old Teisco bass he played in my dad's band back in the day. Real tiny thing, really the size of a normal guitar! It's one of the best sounding basses I've ever heard in my life! Playability wise the neck is a bit warped from neglect over the years but it's still playable. Lots of vintage vibe...

That bass looks pretty cool though. How does it play/sound? If it's playable at all I'd pay $50 for it.

14. i too am a fan of the older japanese basses, but i think 50 bucks is right on the money for that guy :)
    very cool bass though, if its worth 50 bucks to you, than you win!

15. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    If it's playable, then it's a great deal!

I just picked this Korean Harmony Jazz up for a friend, $50 in a pawn shop.

[​IMG]

I liked it 'cause of the block inlays, but I'm a lefty, and frankly, it's not near as nice to play as it looks anyway.

16. tthor

tthor

May 11, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    My first bass, back in 1977, looked exactly like yours, except the head stock was much smaller, like a Fender. Mine was a Kingston. I remember the short scale neck, with high action. A great conditioning tool for me as a beginner. Thanks for the pic. It brings back fond memories.:)

17. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    The pickups look a lot like those on my Korean Global. It sounds good, a little different, but it wasn't really a playable axe until I had the neck profile cut 'way down. If that one has the same telephone pole neck mine did, the best way to go would be to get one from stewmac http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,...:_Necks/Replacement_Neck_for_Fender_Bass.html
    The problem you'll run into is that the neck pockets are not the standard Fender size, in my experience.

Otherwise, if it's a player, hang onto it and play it!