Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bawl Buster busts too much balls

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FWbassmonster, Oct 31, 2000.

1. FWbassmonster

FWbassmonster

May 17, 2000
    hello all, I play a Modulus Genesis 5 string into a Fender BXR200 combo amp (which is 200w into a 15") and also a fender bxr200 head into a cabinet with an 18" and 2 10"s. I have been trying to incorporate a snarling dawgs bawl buster bass wah into my bass rig and, well, when I rock it back to the heel it seems to kill the signal, in that it gets muudy and the speaker just kinda flabs, especially on the low b and e strings. I've tried with other heads and basses but, it just seems to happen no matter what the settings are. I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced this problem or if anyone knows a good bass wah that can really handle the low frequencies. (Of course that would be the reason i bought this in the first place, being as that's how snarling dogs marketed it.)

2. puppeteering

puppeteering

Mar 16, 2000
    I've had this same experience with that pedal...

Trying it through a smaller combo gave me similar results- the low end got warbly and undefined in the 'heel' position, and there was not enough high end upon entering into the 'toe' position. However, playing the pedal with an active 4 string bass through an Aguilar 1x15 cabinet with Aguilar 200w all-tube head gave absolutely monstrous results. Not the type of results I'd want to use more than once a month or so, but impossibly sinister low end basically blasted through the room rendering most living things scratching their heads in disbelief. A sound man's nightmare, believe me, nobody will know what hit 'em.

A better bet was the Dunlop Bass Crybaby, or better yet, the Crybaby Bass with adjustable Q. This gives a substantial push in the low end without losing too much definition, and yet sounds throaty and squacky when you reach the 'toe' position.

I like the heading- Bawl buster busts too much balls...literally!

3. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I have a friend who's using a Morley wah. I'm not sure if it's designed for bass or guitar. Either way this thing sounds horrible if she takes it past midway toward the toe position, it's got WAY to much treble. I like to compare it to a sick duck, but in my opinion she's got to much treble in her sound to begin with, maybe that's the problem. It doesn't sound to bad closer to the heel though. But what's the point of a wah if you don't take it past midway? Have you thought about an auto-wah, or do you want more control over the sound?