1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bay Area Cleveland?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Dr. Jake, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Dr. Jake

Dr. Jake

Jul 1, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Does anyone in the SF Bay Area have a laminated New Standard Cleveland I could check out?

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Sorry I only have a carved one but you're welcome to check it out. ;)

Still even if it's a lammy... BUY IT!

3. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    Now.... you're NOT sorry for having that beautiful Cleveland Carved.:p I saw the thread. Of course, the OP might be sorry if he tries it out and can't afford to get one. Wonder how the plys stack up in terms of sound?

4. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    If you want to drive down to Santa Cruz, mine will be gigging Friday and Saturday of this week... send me a PM.
    -Jeff

5. JeffKissell

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    Man, you a one cold hearted M*********r!!!

-J

6. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    OK sheesh, sorry I said anything. :meh:

7. JeffKissell

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    H-
    Nothing but props man, I was kidding. You've got a beautiful bass and I'm envious. I hope to hear you play that bass one day soon.
    Peace,
    -Jeff

8. Dr. Jake

Dr. Jake

Jul 1, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Many thanks, but I think a carved version would be too far out of my price range to consider.

By the way, it looks like we're both Glenn disciples. We should have t-shirts!

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    JAKE - I'd still fall by and check it out. The workmanship and "feel" of the instrument are going to be similar. I played a ply Cleveland at Gage's and then DONOSAUR's hybrid Cleveland and, yes, there were some differences in sound. But, at this "age", not very profound ones. And the workmanship, the way the bass felt under the hand, pretty much all of the physical aspects carried over form ply to hybrid. and I will postulate that this will be so for the fully carved as well.

I recommend taking HUFF DADDY up on his offer.

10. Dr. Jake

Dr. Jake

Jul 1, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    That's a strong recommendation. Much appreciated!

11. LyleRyan

LyleRyan Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Berkeley, CA
    Winston Berger in Oakland and Jeff Kissel in Santa Cruz were both kind enough to let me try their plywood Clevelands a couple of years ago when I was looking.

...Lyle