Baylor Lady Bears---2005 NCAA National Champions!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Hey guys---just had to brag a bit about my Lady Bears!!! They absolutely DOMINATED Michigan State in the National Championship, giving them an 86-64 pummeling in front of 28,000 fans.

I made the 985 mile trek from Waco to Indianapolis to watch them dominate LSU in the Final Four and MSU in the Championship game. T'was definitely the trip of my life---never had so much fun before.

Anyways---be on the lookout for Baylor to make more noise on the sports scene before too long. We have five different teams currently ranked in the Top 15 in the nation, with one of them undefeated and heading for a back-to-back national championship (men's tennis) and another on a great track to their first national championship (softball).

Go Bears!!!!
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

brad cook
  3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    As a UConn Huskies fan, Ty, I congratulate your school's team. I have to say, a lot of people thought LSU was unstoppable this season, and I thought they might not be too far off. The increased parity in the women's game this season was really remarkable.
  4. Congratulations, considering no one watches women's basketball. :smug:

But really, I'm considering transferring out to Baylor. Good job.
  5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Women's basketball.

just kidding...
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'll have to renew my sunscription to "Obscure Sports Quarterly" so I can keep an eye on those Baylor teams Ty. :)

7. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Holy crap, Jake, I honestly think that'd be the best decision you could make. I absolutely love it here, and I wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING.

PM me or hit me up on AIM or MSN if you wanna talk about it sometime.
  8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Right...which is why they're on the cover of Sports Illustrated, and got over 15 hours of coverage on ESPN.

9. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

When it really comes down to it, we SHOULD have beaten LSU the first time around. We showed that the second time around by our 11 point victory :)

I gotta admit that I was surprised your Huskies didn't do better than they did.

Folks better be watchin' out for us, especially next year. I'm calling another National Championship next year for the women.

The improvement of our men's team next year is going to absolutely baffle some people.
  10. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Frankly, Ty, I think my Lady Tigers would have gotten your Lady Bears 8 out of 10 this past year.

But your team stepped up when it counted, and earned the NC. Congrats.
  11. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

It depends when.

If it was around the time we lost to Texas or Nebraska, yes, without a doubt, you would've stomped us.

It was relatively obvious that our girls just decided to get serious after the Texas Tech game in the Big XII Tournament. They ended up winning a on last-second layup by PG Chelsea Whitaker. From that point on, they won the Big XII Tournament and beat even team in the NCAA Tournament--3 number one seeds, including then No. 5 Michigan St., No. 4 LSU, No. 2 UNC, and No. 11. Minnesota by an average of 14 points---but never less than 7 points.

They bought into the fact that they could win, and from there they just ran with it.

Come tourney time, the BU ladies would take 10 of 10 from you. Mid-season, I'd say it's an even split--5 out of 5, with the edge going to LSU in close games.

Fact is, BU never gets any credit just because of our history. These girls may not be the most talented, but put together, they're absolutely unstoppable. It's going to be more of the same next year too---only two players leaving, with our biggest contributors still hanging around.
  12. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Don't think for one second that I'm not giving credit.... there's no luck involved here; your team WON it.

It's been said often around here, over the last couple of weeks, that LSU lost partly because of Baylor, of course, but also partly because Seimone was too passive in the second half of that game. That she waited for the game to come to her until it was too late. Didn't seem to recognize the urgency.

Would have been AWFULLY interesting had she stepped up in those last ten minutes, and played as the national POY that she is. Methinks it would have been a who-had-the-ball-last type of game.

I can't agree with the 10 of 10 ( :eyebrow: ), but in any event, congratulations. We DO lose quite a lot this year, so I hope you're not on our schedule for next season. :(
  13. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You mean they let women play sport now? :eek: ;) :D
  14. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

These girls would whip your arse all up and down the court, my friend :D

Just like they would mine :p

We have one girl on our team who, no joke, benches 260. She's not that big either---i'd say 6'1, maybe 150, max.