Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bayou Cables

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Skeletomania, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Skeletomania

Skeletomania

Oct 25, 2005
    hong kong
    I never have any luck with online purchases, and after 2 weeks of no show I got a little worried. Unfortunately he had a flu, but I got my order ready to ship 2 days after I send him an inquiry. I have to give him kudos for such excellent customer service. As for the cable, it doesn't sound any better than my crappy cable I got. However, unlike my old cable it doesn't give you any unwanted feedbacks i.e. fret noise. Which makes the tone so much cleaner, much more defined, and more articulate. All in all, the wait is well worth it, and I'm glad I listened to guys on this forum. I would be beating myself when I nearly spend 40 bucks on Monster Cable. I don't know how it fair with more expensive cables, but I can tell you they'll never suprise you with banana & creme candies, which I found shipped w/ my cable.

2. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    dang... he ships his cables with candy???? i want some now :) . and i think if your tone is cleaner, more defined, and more articulate, i think that counts as sounding better than your "crappy cable".

3. Ummm... this new cable doesn't transmit fret noise? Are you sure it is fret noise?

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Butch is a good guy, and he makes good quality cables.

-Mike

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I was wondering the same thing. If you bass makes fret noise and your cable doesn't transmitt it, then your cable has a problem. My bayou cable transmitts fret noise.

Does anyone else have kinking problems with their Bayou cable? Even keeping mine in a GIANT 4 ft loop, I can't stop it from kinking. I have had it for two months now. None of my other cables kink this badly.

6. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

I use Bayou Cables exclusively(sounds important, huh?)...I made my first order over a year ago and my cables haven't given me any trouble. They're gigged with at least once or twice a month and are used in-house almost daily. When any of them start to falter(or more likely I'll lose them or they'll be stolen) I'll be buying replacements from Butch.

7. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Guy (or are you incognito?),
    You shouldn't be having any problems with kinking if you are looping the cable correctly. Part of the problem might be the folding that you are doing after making that giant 4-foot loop. Butch makes really nice stuff and that GS-6 that he uses (I use the same stuff) is really well put together. When you loop it you have to give the cable a little twist, or roll, to let the loops lie flat.

I have made hundreds of instrument cables with GS-6 and they all coil up beautifully.

[​IMG]

8. When I need cables, I need Bayou Cables. I don't even bother going to Sam Ash, GC or any of the others because the price will be higher and the quality will be inferior. If you didn't get your cables BEFORE you expected them, then he was real sick. I do it for the candy. :eek:

9. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I don't do any folding. I am only using these cables at home, so I make my giant loop and then hang the loop loose over my amp. I can get the cable to lie flat when coiled, so that is not a problem. The problem is that once unwound, the cable kinks in a number of different places. I end up spending quite a bit of time straightening the cable before I play, but I end up having the problem no matter what. This is not a problem I have had with any other cable.

It's possible, but doubtful that I am causing the problem. While I have just picked up the bass again after a number of years off, I played in a number of gigging bands for about 8 years, so I am well versed in the ways of the instrument cable.

10. Have had mine for a while and it is/was worth the money. Good customer service with a good product.
    Can't go wrong.

11. I use him for my Speakon cables. Great price, great cable.

12. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Just received my order last week. The cables and candy are Great :hyper:

13. When I lived in NOLA I was with Nolabass at Guitar Center and we ran into this guy. We talked for a while and we a/b'ed his cable with some CG stuff. Totally superior. Great price too! He's a super guy; I would highly recommend his stuff.

I need to get me some myself!

14. m2o03

m2o03

Feb 27, 2006
    Iowa
    i'll most likely be purchasing bayou cables for my new rig...just gotta figure out what type of cables i need for everything.

15. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I've bought cables from both Butch (Bayou Cables) and Pete (fretlessrock) and both of their cables are of superior quality.

16. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Is Bayou Cables still in business???

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Now that it's back I can also attest to Butch's excellent cables. I bought used GK cabinets and the previous owner gave away the 4 conductor speakons, so I had butch make me a pair of 4 footers for my cabs. They're excellent quality that I can do anything but complain about. Getting a few instrument cables from him soon as well.

Now the question is, what color? :)

18. Yellow!

19. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I've bought a bunch of cables from Butch recently, and the only reason I would buy one from any other source would be if I needed it sooner than a week or ten days from the order. Butch's cables are well put together, well priced, and he stands behind them solidly. His speaker cables are about as thick as my pinky finger.

On the tone subject, I do not believe that there is a perceivable tone difference between average cables and good ones. What I have noticed over the years, however, is that my bargain cables get "poppy" around the jacks after not too much gigging, and the better quality cables I own take much more of a beating without complaining.

Kinky? That's another tale.

And mine are orange. Hook 'em.