Bazz Fuss low output

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by arginator, Oct 10, 2011.

1. arginator

arginator

Feb 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    This is my first pedal build, and when it comes to electronics I'm a noob. But I've been experimenting with the bazz fuss circuit on a breadboard. I'm currently running it with the 3904 transistor, 100k resistor, 1n914 diode, 10uf input cap, and 20uf output cap. I'm still playing with swapping different values of everything, but I like the sound of this set up so far. The problem is that no matter what components I use, the output is always low. I have to crank up bass and amp to hear it well, so it's below unity. I'm playing a fender jazz deluxe V (active bass), and I've read that may be the problem. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

2. add a gain stage to the output. The simple LPB1 is good. Find it at GGG.

3. arginator

arginator

Feb 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Thanks, I see that Beavis Audio has a schematic for that too. Looks simple enough to put on the breadboard. Famous last words...

4. I know this posting is two months late, but I saw this thread and decided to chime in. I think you have/had an error in your wiring. Make sure the transistor is oriented correctly collector/base/emitter. Make sure the diode is oriented the correct way cathode to base of transistor. Check your resistor values and make swap out caps to eliminate that possibility. Lastly make sure that the in/out +/- are correct and the voltage is 9v. The gain characteristic of this circuit is heavily dependent on the input signal amplitude so crank that volume wide open. I used a 2n5089 in my build, it is higher gain and I used a ge diode, and I can't turn the volume above 9:00, it is too loud.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021