1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bb 404 neck on a stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bird_man022, Jun 6, 2007.

1. bird_man022

bird_man022

Apr 15, 2007
    Peoria, AZ
    hey, do any of you know if I can bolt the neck from my yamaha bb 404 to a music man stingray w/o doing too much damage to the stingray?

2. first thing you need to know is the scale and number of frets...

the neck must fit into the pocket such that it isn't too short or long, or else you'll be moving your bridge, too...

the other thing is that the shape of the neck pocket will be different....different width, different depth, different shape...

you'll most-likely end up having to plug the neck pocket and re-rout to fit the yamaha neck....it will be permanent...now whether or not you consider that "much damage"...the call is up to you...

the other thing I forgot to mention is bolt holes...you'll have to plug the holes on the 'ray and drill new ones to match the BB neck...

cool idea, though...a Yama-ray! or a BB Sting

You Phoenix blokes are always doing wild things...must be the heat...

Hello Arizona (lived in Gilbert for 4 months back in 1996)...

3. bird_man022

bird_man022

Apr 15, 2007
    Peoria, AZ
    ha, yah really, damn heats enough to make one go insane... 10 years does get to you...
    any way, yah, that helps, hopefully i'll be able to do it to keep the 24 fret neck vs the 21 on the stingray, and the nice thin neck of my yammy... nice bass but not the sound i want hopefully the new seymourduncans im gonna put in it help some

4. wait....yammy is a 24 fret neck?

dude, you'll have to do some serious cutting into your 'ray to get it in the right spot, and you probably won't be able to access those last frets anyway, because of the shape of the 'ray...

why don't you just chop up the body of your Yamaha instead?...what you can do is plug EVERYTHING....then take 1/4" off the top, then put a 1/4" lam on it, and re-rout to whatever you want....

or plug Everything, rerout it and paint it an opaque colour...

5. the stingray would have would have 6 bolts and the Yammy would only have 4.

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yup...that was the first thing that came to mind.

7. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    The simple answer is, "No, you cannot."

8. bird_man022

bird_man022

Apr 15, 2007
    Peoria, AZ
    wow, ok, then ill just get the music man pickup and put it in my yammy...
    any brand sugestions? i will probably go w/ seymour duncan, unless anyone has words to the wiser

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021