Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BB-404 reborn

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tiari, Apr 12, 2005.

1. tiari

tiari

Apr 12, 2005
    Hello everyone,

I have 20+ years experience on playing the guitar, and I started playing bass a month ago. I got tired of using sampled bass sounds in my recordings, so I decided to try the real thing.

I purchased a Yamaha BB-404 because it felt quite nice for the price. However, the wiring, electronics and the pickups were inferior. I just couldn't use the bass to record directly.
    So after reading this forum for a while I bought a set of Bartolinis, new 250K audio tapers, a jack, a 0.22uf cap and some wire. I fixed the brigde ground, applied the "star grounding method" (www.guitarnuts.com) and also shielded the cavity bottom and cover with aluminium foil. New parts cost 50% of the bass price, but now the baby is at least 5 times worth. And most importantly: there is no noise. Awesome. My BB-404 turned into one serious tone monster! :hyper: I'm sooo happy!

Just wanted to share...

tiari

2. I would like to hear more about the star grounding method you mentioned. I could not find anything about it at guitarnuts.com. Could you post a link to this info?

Glad that you got the bass workin' the way you want it.

Mag...

3. JimRay

JimRay

May 5, 2006
    What set of bartolini's do you install on your bb-404?