1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BB 750 and GB 750: your thoughts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Anthbass, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    I'm considering an amplifier shakeup. My main head is a Carvin B800, which I have had solid service from, but I'm craving a shakeup, as the Carvin sounds a bit pedestrian. I would be pairing the new head with various Epifani PS series cabinets and play mainly five string basses. My general tone quest is a largely old school with a touch of modern sparkle thrown in. I've never owned a Mesa or GB product, so I'm not particularly biased either way. The notion of a tube preamp is appealing and I know that Genz and Mesa enjoy solid reputations, so any suggestions from those with experience are greatly appreciated. Oh, and of course, I'm open to other brand/model suggestions.

2. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    These amps are complete opposites. The GB is punchy as hell and considerably more versatile than the Mesa. The mesa has a good OD channel, real tube-y with a hefty low end. Both are quality, although I would take the GB over the Mesa personally.

Dan

3. Bofee

Bofee

Aug 19, 2005
    Grass Valley, CA
    No experience with GB, but I picked up a used Mesa BB750 and used it for the first time on a couple of gigs this weekend. I "triple" on URB, bassUke and slab, the Mesa kicks it with all three. I've been running an AI amp for the last few years but recently decided I wanted a more agressive sound with edge.

4. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    I'm with willsellout on this one.

5. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    Thank you for your input. By way of design, the Genz has considerably more user input options than the Mesa. Do you find it necessary to be tweaking the Genz head often to find usable tone? How is the OD channel on the Genz?

6. sevenorchids

sevenorchids Supporting Member

There is no "overdrive" channel on the Genz. There is a FET channel and a tube channel. The tube channel doesn't really do overdrive, at least as I understand overdrive. It give some tubey characteristics (some call that "warmth"), while the FET channel is pure solid state. You can mix the channel also, which is what I did when I had a 750.

It's not hard at all to get a good sound out of the GBE750. Just start flat on both channels, mix to taste, and EQ where needed.

I chose the GBE750 over the BB750 when I compared the two. Ultimately, I sold both of them. That being said, I would love to get my hands on a BB750 now, as I have a project starting that could use the BB750.

7. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    The Genz is considerably more versatile. When I owned mine, I pretty much set the two channels up for what I was looking for and let them sit like that. For the most part I boosted the lows and cut the highs a bit and left everything else flat. It's a great and very usable EQ section for both channels and I found the setup to be really easy to dial in. If I had a choice I'd take the Genz over the Mesa every single time.

Dan