BB 750 vs SVT 5 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by timidbassist, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Well i went to the local Guitar Center to see if there was a BB in stock and of course there wasnt.... i tried the 400+ since it was there so i could at least play A mesa setup again. IMHO i didnt really think the 400+ sounded any better than my Carvin R1000 :scowl: which kind of disapointed me. Since there was nothing else for Mesa to try i told myself i was trying Ampeg stuff since it deffinitly seems a lot more available maybe they deserve my business more.. Well i played the SVT 4 Pro and after tunning in the knobs and running through an Ampeg classic 810 i was playing the nicest sounding combination ever between the 4 pro/810/Warwick Streamer. It sounded AWESOME. Now the one main thing i still like about the BB is that it has an over drive channel which the 4pro doesnt. I talked to the salesman and he said that the SVT 5 had a over drive channel instead of graphic eq and that would be something to look into. So i am wondering for those of you who have played the 750 and the 5 pro which is the better amp? I guess i was caught into Mesa stuff until i played that mesa today. It was INCREDIBLE haha.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. I must have just played a really lousy individual unit, because the only SVT 4-pro I've ever played on was through the svt 810 and even with 20 minutes of tweaking it was one of the worst sounding amps I've ever heard. No mids at all, brittle annoying highs, and colorless lows. Anyone else have trouble getting decent sounds out of one of those units?
  3. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yep, i get that from most ampeg stuff. Does the overdrive channel matter that much? How about getting a nice o/d pedal or DI box like a sansamp?
  4. Yes, i have been told by others to do that as well. I will look into that. I always heard that the tube ODs were better in the amps though.
    Thanks for the info.