BB VS RBX (Yamaha)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Jun 5, 2003.

Which is your favourite Yamaha?

Poll closed Sep 3, 2003.
  1. BB

22 vote(s)
  2. RBX

4 vote(s)
  1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    To all the Yamaha fans out thee, which one do you guys think is best?

List some pros and cons about both types :D
  2. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I've really never understood why the RBX series is more expensive than the BB. For this reason alone I chose the BB series. As far as I know they have the same electronics, and to play more than $300-400 for a bass with those electronics would be a waste of money.
  3. i have seen low-end rbx basses for $170 and bb's for $1500 so it all depends on the specific model
  4. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    the RBX seems to be more of a rock bass (in general) more than BB's. I have both, and like my BB better. the RBx's with the whole "cutting edge" numetal design doesn't do it for me. however,(id much rather have a TRB than either an RBX or BB :) )
  5. I voted RBX, i love my 370, I tried a BB404, and I think as someone else said, the RBX is prob better for rock, which is what I play. Liked the colour of the RBX more as well (black!)
  6. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    BB!!! I love them. Especially the 80's ones(BB3000s, etc). I used to have an RBX too. I feel that they are more modern sounding, not my cup of tea.

I don't think its a matter of which one is a better..its more of a which one do you prefer thing. In this case I vote the BB, mainly because the BB has that classic thump.
  7. LKK

Sep 4, 2002
    The BB series is solid. Highly recommended. I've played a few RBX (170 & 765) and still think my BBN5II is the better choice. I have upgraded it with a bassline MM style pickup and 3 band eq tone circuit. This is my first bass and its a keeper.
  8. BB series for shape and feel
  9. I second that, and wish Yamaha would make a straight 80:s BB reissue with gold hardware, standard P pickup and mother of pearl inlays. I'd buy one in a heatbeat.
  10. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    My BB200 (least expensive model),nails the P bass thing better than most. Wonderful neck. SD SPB2 really helped over the stock pickup.
  11. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    here's me BB and RBX's both of which i enjoy (the bb more as said earlier)[​IMG] [​IMG]
  12. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I don't like the looks of the RBX, so it has to be BB.

But I second F.F's choice of TRB over both the RBX and BB.
  13. Pieter Smits

Pieter Smits

May 26, 2003
    Back in the 80's my first serious bass was a BB1000S. It played and sounded excellent. Slightly modified: Hipshot D tuner + second volume control for Jazz Bass sound capabilities.
    How stupid was I to trade it in for something different. Now years and a lot of basses later I found one again and bought it instantly. No modifications, and I intend to leave it that way.
    I therefore voted BB, but I have never tried an RBX so I am biased.....
  14. I vote BB. I like the body shape better. Although I'd like to see the higher end BB model to have tilt back headstock like the higher end RBX. Mine has lots of modification though.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  15. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Such as?
    That looks like a really really nice bass! Tel us a bit about it.:D
  16. Thanks. I took out the active preamp and wire it passive with vol/vol/tone and a series/parallel switch. The reason I took out the preamp is because I don't want to deal with battery anymore, and I find that I can pretty much have all the tonal control I need from my rack preamp anyway. In series mode the bass also sound a lot huger than ever before. The stock bridge was changed to a Wilkinson because it works and looks great. The original gold knobs are change to rosewood bell shape knobs, and the gold tuners are replaced with Gotoh compact black tuners.
  17. LKK, I think you're the first person at this site that has the exact same Yamaha as me. You put in a MM style pup? Did you have to do a lot of routing?

Tommy Gunz, my bass looks exactly like your's, except mine is butcher-block natural.
    I like the finish on your's better.

The BB series is hard to beat at any price level.
    I liked all the RBXs I've played too. I just like Yamaha.

18. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Hey tommy, what kind of Yamah is that? A BB what? :D
  19. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I like the Yamaha RBX750a / RBX755a

Those are the only RBX ones that i've seen that i've liked. The rest don't look all that great.

^^ is one FINE looking bass :)