BB234 vs BB434

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave McNee, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Dave McNee

Dave McNee

Feb 25, 2016
    Hey everyone, looking for a gigable bass on a bit of a budget. I like the BB series and was wondering peoples opinion on the BB234 or is the BB434 worth the extra money. Thanks in advance!

2. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    Insufficient information.

3. Dave McNee

Dave McNee

Feb 25, 2016
    Ok thanks

ItsmeSantiago likes this.
  4. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    Seriously. Who makes the bass? How much more money is the 400 than the 200 that you're considering? Are the instruments new or used?

5. Andy R

Andy R

Mar 14, 2019
    At a guess I’d say Yamaha??

6. The 434 has the multi laminate neck, miter neck joint and better hardware and electronics. It's a better spec'd instrument but it's $200 more...

JeezyMcNuggles and Nunovsky like this.
  7. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    For those upgrades, $200 is a pretty small price to pay...:bassist:

8. DaDo625

DaDo625 Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I miss my BB434...well made, great tone esp. on the P pickup (I pretty much left it there)

jam.majors and Aqualung60 like this.
  9. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    The tuners on the 434 are crap. Otherwise, it’s a solid bass that is worth the price.

BobDeRosa likes this.
  10. nnnnnn

nnnnnn

Oct 27, 2018
    Australia
    Yamaha have been making the BB line for several decades. Many people here on TB are very familiar with the line and can provide the feedback the OP needs.

Timmah, 350125g0 and dalkowski like this.
  11. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    The 434 is the series middle level instrument and I have to say that it sounds great for the price comparing with other PJ's from other brands on the market.
    Altough the 232 is a good bass and won't let you down, the 434 is a better bass on every aspect and you'll be better served with one of those.
    Some of the better specs are:
    • 5 piece neck
    • Alnico V pickups
    • 6 bolt neck junction, with 2 of the bolts going at a 45º into the neck for a better connection between the neck and the body giving it more ressonance and sustain.
    • Convertible bridge, allowing for diagonal body through stringing which is great because the string enters at a 45º angle and it stresses less the string compared to regular through body at 90º. And also it allows for the string to resonate better with the body IMHO.
    Most of these features you won't find in a bass at this price level and it's worth the upgrade.

Ricky Rioli, KJMO, jam.majors and 4 others like this.
  12. BobDeRosa

BobDeRosa Supporting Member Commercial User

May 16, 2012
    Finger Lakes area of New York State
    Owner, Tritone Jazz Fantasy Camps
    I own 6 Yamaha BBs, including the 434, which I like a lot. But are you committed to buying new? There are lots of affordable used and vintage BBs out there looking for players.

13. Firewraith

Firewraith

Apr 25, 2016
    East Tennessee
    I have the 435 and agree. 2 of my tuners rattle when I play. I used a pick to quieten the G string tuner (see pic below). Yamaha did send me another one when I called in about it. I haven't replaced it yet but I think I would prefer to use a different brand tuner altogether.

I love the feel of the neck though and the rest of the fit/finish is great. With all settings flat on my amp I find the tone a bit more harsh than with my other bases; I have to EQ it a lot differently, but it is a great bass to play. As Flat-N-Round said, other than the tuners the 434/435 is a solid bass.

Yamaha Tuner 2.jpg
    Yamaha Tuner.jpg

14. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Exactly the problem I had. The E tuner had a nasty rattle that drove me nuts. Luckily, I think there are a few options out there that are direct replacements.

Firewraith likes this.
  15. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    I had new 434 and played 234 in shop.. ld say it is worth the price difference. 434 much nicer bass in every aspect.
    P.s. l couldn't attest to "crappy" tuners tho

16. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I have the slightly older 424x, and it is a killer instrument, especially for the cost. I think the laminate neck is a big contributing factor. If you can afford the 434, I think it’s definitely worth it. But I would also echo @BobDeRosa that if you can find a used one, you’ll save money and get a great instrument. I see the 424x and 424 pop up every once in a while.

BobDeRosa likes this.
  17. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021