Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BB405 Update - new pickups...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vic, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    A while back I posted a review of this bass. Got it from Musician's Friend on clearance for about 225, normally 400 or so, MSRP like 600 I think.

Anyway, after some setup work, it played and sounded really well, but I was plagued with the single coil hum I can't take. Enter maurilio's sale of a set of bartolini 59 J1 L1/LN1 CBJD (classic bass) pickups. Just got'em in today and installed them. They totally dropped in perfect. Literally like a 15min job.

Night and day. In a good way.

Prolly 'cause they're humbuckers, they're not quite as scooped sounding, so you need to tweak the amp a bit to get the same slap tone as beforoe, however, the overall tone is much better. Much more even and wider... better lows and highs. This bass is gonna' get more airtime now for sure.

2. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    Vic,

Thanks for the report on your new pickups. Have you tried anything but the stock strings on your 405? I am considering replacing the tuning machines on my 404 with some Gotoh compacts.

avid

3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Heck I don't even know what the stock strings are. I think I have some DR HiBeams on it (45-125). Those are one of my fave sets of strings, tho I'm starting to really get into the MTD 135x (tapered B) these days, as well. For nickels, my faves are the Peavey Cirrus strings.