1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BB415 by Yamaha....what's the string spacing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ElMon, Oct 15, 2006.

1. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    th_bb415.gif

I'm wonderin the most obvious..first, does this bass have a decent B (ie. can you hear a pitch difference from low Eb to low C), and does it have a good slap sound.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    BB415 correct?

3. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah, a Yamaha BB. Those things are so ugly, IMO.

4. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Indeed. BB415. Anyone? PJ 5er for alot less than a Sadowsky?

5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Back in the '80's we thought they were hot $#!+, but I don't know how I'd feel if I tried one nowadays with say, a Lakland available.

In 1985, one of these was as cool as it got, though.

By the way, your username, are you an old-school LSH fan?

6. Aarix

Aarix

May 19, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I have a 614 which I like quite a bit. No B string on it though.

It has a few very useful tones, and is very comfy in my hands. I wouldn't put it in the same category as my Lakland Skyline, but it's hot for under $500. I'd say it sounds better than a Fender PJ.

Dave Neal likes this.
  7. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK

???? Actually a derivation of my name, L. Monroe

8. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I was thinking of Mon-El, a character from the Legion of Super Heroes. He was basically like superman without the whole kryptonite thing, and with a more restrained costume.

9. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I should probably adopt that instead. Now, anybody know anything about the bstring on this puppy?

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I dont own one, but I've played them in stores, and they are excellent. The B string is absolutely fine.

Dave Neal likes this.
  11. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    Honestly, I could care less about how a bass looks. As long as it sounds decent and gets the job done, then Yeah, I'm all for it. Looks, however, DO have an importance. (minor)

12. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK

I think the big thing for me on any 5 is the clarity of the low Eb. Is it there on this bass?

13. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    bump

14. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
  15. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    sounds pretty good.....four though

16. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I'll vouch for it. I can't give you a clip but I can say that the Low B string on these is absolutely great, I've had my BB415 for a month or so and I can't put it down. The P/J config is very versatile so its almost impossible to find a tone you won't like. The tone knob is quite responsive and these pups are high output, meaning playing with the tone wide open is going to give you some big-booty clarity, plus you can always EQ to your taste. The Eb isn't any less clear than 5th fret E, or any other fret on the string for that matter. It's wonderful, trust me.

17. It's a BB415...and it has one of the best B's that I've tried.

I'm not 100% sold on the sound...it sounds killer agressive with the bridge solo'd and a nice thick growl with both pickups on, but with the neck soloed, it sounds a bit too muddy for my tastes.

But just the same, I think that they're awesome basses for the buck.

18. hey, ive got me the next model up which is the bb615 and im very happy with the sound. the b string is great, as is the slap sound. slightly neck heavy though.
    for the money a very decent bass indeed. certainly better than the spector legend 5 i also owned.

19. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK

Seeing as how you are from Kentucky, I'll trust your word as a gentleman.:D

20. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    So what's the spacing on this one? Got it comin in with black pearl finish. Passive P wit a B!!!