1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BB425 review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blues Bass 2, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I had a question from another Talkbass member who saw my BB425 in another thread and asked me about it . It took me awhile to type it up so I thought I might as well post it as a thread . I'm really liking this bass .

I had time today to measure the spacing at the nut and bridge today . It looks to me that string to string the spacing is about 17.5mm at the bridge . It's 2 13/16" from the B string to the G string at the bridge .

At the nut it looks like 8mm string to string . 1 3/8" B string to G at the nut .

I like the bass a lot . The neck is satin finished and the frets all feel real good , no sharp fret ends at all . The neck is very comfortable to me , not too fat but a good solid feel . All the Yamahas have great necks . The new way they have the string through designed with a 45 degree angle at the bottom of the bass works very well . Very easy to restring .The B string is good but not as good as my other Yamaha BB605 but that one has a better B string than any other bass I've had including a couple of Laklands I've had .

006-3.
    005-4.

The tone is what I really like about the bass . With both pickups on it gets deep like a good P bass but still stays clear in the mids and I really like that tone . With just the neck pickup on it sounds less open , it probably would work to get a more upright type sound if you need it . We play mostly Rock but the guys like to play some Rockabilly stuff too so I tried it for that with just the neck pickup but I still like to have both pickups on for that too . I can hear what I'm doing better and can play closer to the neck to get a round sound . The bridge pickup works if you want to solo and get kind of a Jaco type sound but I don't solo much so I won't use it by itself much .

I'd say the build quality is on par with the Lakland Skylines I've had or the US Fenders I've had . My other Yamaha , the BB605 , is active and has a pair of Jazz style pickups and a 24 fret neck . Even though it's a BB it has a different body than my BB425 and has a much more modern sound . It also is as good a quality as the Laklands and it's B string stays more focused all the way down than the BB425 although the 425s B is very usable . The 425 is more old school tone wise .

I guess I got kind of long winded , I have the afternoon off and got all my yard work done so I'm at the computer chilling out , it's 90 and very humid here . Hope this helps , they are great basses .

2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    i've been considering one of these.

3. Beatle-man16

Beatle-man16

Jun 16, 2010
    I have to admit I have looked at this bass quite a large amount of times. I think it could be my first P/J bass when I get one down the line, will not be for awhile though. Lovely looker by the way.

4. I ordered one today. Looking forward to posting my own review in due course! Thanks for good insights.