Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BBE 383 bass preamp wanted (I think)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SpaceHeater, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Hey, I'm new to the forum--this is great.

I've been considering options for used one rack space bass preamps, to drive my Crown Power Base 3. The BBE 383 seemed like it might be a good choice since I'd get the sonic maximizer too. Also, I don't have much of a budget. The feedback I've seen here on this product has been mostly positive, although it sounds like the compressor is useless. And I'm a little concerned about the highs, since I'm used to my SWR SM400 which gives me all the high requencies I need...

I just missed a BBE 383 yesterday on Ebay for $100, which is the top end of my price range.

Anyway, if anyone out there has one to sell, or something they think is considerably better for a similar price, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks

2. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I have a BBE 383 that I keep as a backup for Gigs.
    I used it for a year before I bought an ADA MB-1 (which I have used for 8+ years).
    The BBE Sonic Maximizer circuit is the best thing about it. It also has a nice "Punch" button that adds some lows. I sometimes use just the BBE circuit in addition to my MB-1 if I am doing a large show and need the extra punch.
    On the downside, the Crossover only goes down to 250Hz and does not have much of a slope (I always used an external crossover because of this). The Compressor is a bit harsh though it works good as a limiter (I also used an external compressor before I purchased the MB-1). Without the Sonic Maximizer engaged it is bland sounding.
    The ADA MB-1 is a much better preamp with both Tube and solid state sections as well as a very good compressor. It also has a semi-parametric EQ, chorus and a crossover with a limiter on the low pass. Tube preamps can really give a fat, thick sound to a bass.
    There are also many newer preamps that have excellent tone. There was a recent roundup of preamps in Bass Player magazine.
    You might be able to find a decent price on a used ADA MB-1 on either www.musicgoround.com or ebay.