BBE 383 bass preamp wanted (I think)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SpaceHeater, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Hey, I'm new to the forum--this is great.

I've been considering options for used one rack space bass preamps, to drive my Crown Power Base 3. The BBE 383 seemed like it might be a good choice since I'd get the sonic maximizer too. Also, I don't have much of a budget. The feedback I've seen here on this product has been mostly positive, although it sounds like the compressor is useless. And I'm a little concerned about the highs, since I'm used to my SWR SM400 which gives me all the high requencies I need...

I just missed a BBE 383 yesterday on Ebay for $100, which is the top end of my price range.

Anyway, if anyone out there has one to sell, or something they think is considerably better for a similar price, I'd love to hear about it.

2. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I have a BBE 383 that I keep as a backup for Gigs.
    I used it for a year before I bought an ADA MB-1 (which I have used for 8+ years).
    The BBE Sonic Maximizer circuit is the best thing about it. It also has a nice "Punch" button that adds some lows. I sometimes use just the BBE circuit in addition to my MB-1 if I am doing a large show and need the extra punch.
    On the downside, the Crossover only goes down to 250Hz and does not have much of a slope (I always used an external crossover because of this). The Compressor is a bit harsh though it works good as a limiter (I also used an external compressor before I purchased the MB-1). Without the Sonic Maximizer engaged it is bland sounding.
    The ADA MB-1 is a much better preamp with both Tube and solid state sections as well as a very good compressor. It also has a semi-parametric EQ, chorus and a crossover with a limiter on the low pass. Tube preamps can really give a fat, thick sound to a bass.
    There are also many newer preamps that have excellent tone. There was a recent roundup of preamps in Bass Player magazine.
    You might be able to find a decent price on a used ADA MB-1 on either or ebay.