BBE 383 bass preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave Morgan, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Dave Morgan

Dave Morgan

Jul 1, 2000
    I bought one of these via Ebay just to tinker with. Has anyone used or heard one of these in use?
  2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I have one that I bought from a colleague for $100 about four years ago. Not bad--accurate sounding, and reasonably versatile EQ--but I think the compressor is almost useless, and I don't like the BBE Process (the Sonic Maximizer), but some others do.
  3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I still have one that I got years ago for about a hundred bucks too.........definetly worth what they go for these days, and I liked the Sonic Maximizer;)
  4. RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    I bought one of these for pretty cheap not too long ago also. I think there is a thread or two on them, you might try a search.

5. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    i have one as well, picked it up for about 150, in good condition. i like the way it sounds, the EQ is definitely more musical than my previous Hartke pre, the compressor is useless, and i like the SM for some applications, but for others, it almost seems like it dampens the response of my speakers. as in mud. in any case, its still a good pre. im selling it, if anyone wants it, email me.
  6. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I'm still using it, although lately I am patching my SansAmp out into the BBE effects return, bypassing the BBE's eq and mainly using it for the Sonic Maximizer effect and to drive my Crest Amp. I haven't used the comp in about 2 years.
  7. Dave Morgan

Dave Morgan

Jul 1, 2000
    Thanks all for your input. I too have thought about running the SABDI in the effects I/O. I'll have to try it.