Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BBE 383 pre

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoelEoM, Sep 30, 2002.

1. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    so i traded my HA2000 up for this, and im impressed so far. i used it 2 nights ago for a gig with a reggae band, and i was a whole lot happier with my sound. much meatier than the hartke, i was having trouble pulling good sounding lows from that pre. the BBE is much smaller too(another reason i didnt hesitate to trade, i was carrying like 30 pounds of extra weight.) my only gripe is that the output signal doesnt seem quite as hot as the hartke's, but i just have to turn up the gain a little more, and its ok. i basically got it for about 125 bucks, which is the trade in value on the hartke. good deal, i thought, considering the pre was selling for 235, used, and the guy went even up with me.

2. RobOtto

RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    I just bought one of those preamps myself the other day. I should get it tomorrow and I'll post what I think about it. What kind of poweramp are you using with it?

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I use one, too. I bought it used about four years ago and it is a decent preamp. It's clean, it has an effects loop, and pretty good EQ. Personally, I'm not big on the Sonic Maximizer circuit, and I would've been happier if they put the resources into a better compressor instead. But I just bought a used Loft 410 dynamics processor, so I'll hand the compressor duties over to it instead of tweaking the BBE's compressor circuit.

Who am I kidding? I'll probably tweak the compressor circuitry anyway. ;)

4. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    RobOtto, im using it with a QSC RMX850. im happy with the way it sounds right now, although i do miss the presence that the tube pre in my hartke gave me. the EQ on this sounds much more musical though, so i can deal. i agree with bob lee, the compressor isnt of much use, though i do like the sonic maximizer. my only problem is that my bass requires a lot of EQ, thru almost every amp ive ever played it thru. since its a squier, this doesnt surprise me. saving for a roscoe 6, that should fix my problems:D

5. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I use one also, with a Crest LA901 and Hartke 410XL, and agree about the built-in comp circuit. I just leave it off. However, I disagree about the BBE circuit, I keep it on 100% of the time, but different cabs may give different results. I've been using it for about 5 years now, with no problems. Good luck with it!

6. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    I got one of these also. Picked it up used for $99.00. Nice preamp. I use it biamped. I also don't use the internal compressor.

Here she is

[​IMG]

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I used one for awhile a few years back......not a bad pre! Really good bang for the buck....I think I only paid 100.00 for it, I still have it around somewhere.