BBE 383 pre

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoelEoM, Sep 30, 2002.

1. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    so i traded my HA2000 up for this, and im impressed so far. i used it 2 nights ago for a gig with a reggae band, and i was a whole lot happier with my sound. much meatier than the hartke, i was having trouble pulling good sounding lows from that pre. the BBE is much smaller too(another reason i didnt hesitate to trade, i was carrying like 30 pounds of extra weight.) my only gripe is that the output signal doesnt seem quite as hot as the hartke's, but i just have to turn up the gain a little more, and its ok. i basically got it for about 125 bucks, which is the trade in value on the hartke. good deal, i thought, considering the pre was selling for 235, used, and the guy went even up with me.
  2. RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    I just bought one of those preamps myself the other day. I should get it tomorrow and I'll post what I think about it. What kind of poweramp are you using with it?
  3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I use one, too. I bought it used about four years ago and it is a decent preamp. It's clean, it has an effects loop, and pretty good EQ. Personally, I'm not big on the Sonic Maximizer circuit, and I would've been happier if they put the resources into a better compressor instead. But I just bought a used Loft 410 dynamics processor, so I'll hand the compressor duties over to it instead of tweaking the BBE's compressor circuit.

Who am I kidding? I'll probably tweak the compressor circuitry anyway. ;)
  4. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    RobOtto, im using it with a QSC RMX850. im happy with the way it sounds right now, although i do miss the presence that the tube pre in my hartke gave me. the EQ on this sounds much more musical though, so i can deal. i agree with bob lee, the compressor isnt of much use, though i do like the sonic maximizer. my only problem is that my bass requires a lot of EQ, thru almost every amp ive ever played it thru. since its a squier, this doesnt surprise me. saving for a roscoe 6, that should fix my problems:D
  5. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I use one also, with a Crest LA901 and Hartke 410XL, and agree about the built-in comp circuit. I just leave it off. However, I disagree about the BBE circuit, I keep it on 100% of the time, but different cabs may give different results. I've been using it for about 5 years now, with no problems. Good luck with it!
  6. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    I got one of these also. Picked it up used for $99.00. Nice preamp. I use it biamped. I also don't use the internal compressor.

Here she is

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I used one for awhile a few years back......not a bad pre! Really good bang for the buck....I think I only paid 100.00 for it, I still have it around somewhere.