BBE 383 preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bob C, Feb 4, 2001.

1. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    There's one of these on eBay. Now that I said that, one of you guys will probably beat me buying it. Anyway, I'm pretty sure this is a discontinued model, right? What does it have in the way of eq controls? Does the sound come close to Demeter, Alembic, etc?

[Edited by Bob C on 02-04-2001 at 11:02 PM]
  2. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Okay, I found out from the seller that this is a discontinued model, it has 6 band fixed frequency active eq and the BBE proccess. Has anyone out there tried this preamp in a live setting?

3. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I didn't try it at a gig,but I spent a weekend with one at home deciding whether to get it.Although I like BBE products,I ended up passing on this one 'cause I felt the input didn't have enough headroom before audibly breaking up.FYI if it's the BBE processor part of it that intrigues you,you can just get one of their processors like the 462,862,482 etc,and run your preamp of choice through it.I run an 862 with my SWR SM440s and it sounds good.
  4. Hans

Sep 10, 2000
    A local guitar builder has one for sale. I borrowed it to see how it sounded compared to my V-Type preamp.

The sound was very undefined - lots of low mid but no real sparkle - unless of course I activated the Maximiser circuit. However, that's not really the point. The fundamental sound of the preamp wasn't that nice.

Plus, I had the same problem of overloading the input.