Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BBE / Aphex ... can you use them with a head?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SteveC, Oct 27, 2005.

1. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Here's why I ask. I wrote to BBE and asked about using their new "Sonic Stomp" pedal with my head. Basically, the reply I got was that they are best used after the preamp and just before the power amp.

Easy enough in a rack rig, but where do you put it when you use a head? I assumed that since both BBE and Aphex make a pedal version of their rack units, that one can use them as a pedal - before the head.

Are any of you using either of these units with a head? What kind of results?

2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Got an effects loop? That's usually post-preamp and pre-poweramp.

3. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    It is my understanding that most pedals aren't made for the loop. That's rack gear territory.

4. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Well when the manufacturer tells you its best used after the Pre and before the power section they are basically telling you to use an effects loop. That means its setup to handle a line level signal, not an instrument level thats all. Seems awkward to put a pedal in the effects loop, but whatever.

5. Dugz Ink

Dugz Ink

Oct 23, 2005
    It's basically the 482i "Sonic Maximizer" shoved into a stomp box.

That's why they list "Max signal level: +7dBu"

Just treat it like a rack-mount that you can trip over.

6. I have BBE DI-100 with sonic maximizer and I found that it is working really nice almost anywhere in my signal chain. Ended up using it after effects but before preamp. You should just try and explore. IMO it is very musical device any way around.

7. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think the guy was spun! It's CALLED "STOMP".. That would be rediculous if it were actually a line-leval device, wouldn't it?

I can speak for my Aphex Xciter, and it's definately INSTRUMENT level. In fact, my passive Peavey bass can clip it if I pop with my compressor turned off (CS-3 before the Xciter). This would definately be a problem for someone running a hot bass like mine straight into it - but the point is, if anything, it's made for signals LOWER than 'instrument' level, not way up there at LINE level! I know there's an "active" switch, but that cut's the output way down; it's kinda useless that way (I'm off-track here, but I can't help but think that I guess I would have had to return it, if I weren't running this automatic level control before it full-time!).

Joe

8. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Steve, you've told me before that you like the BBE better than the 204, but Im just curious to why? Also, for Steve or anyone - I have the exciter pedal right now and I want to fill a rackspace (I know a very bad reason to pick one up), but would it harm/help my sound when it comes to aural enchancing? Finally, Im getting a whappo jr. and a 2x10 bergie soon and I have noticed that a lot (most) users of these products don't have high end cabs - any reasons that I shouldn't get one other than it's because I want to fill up a space? Oh yea and I know someone might mention a funk logic, but I have though about it and would rather pay an extra $40 for something that actually has a function.
    Thanks, Mike

9. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    As far as I've seen, the aphex exciters and the BBE processors don't have a whole lot of benefit for high end cabs. They seem to really shine with sub-par to mediocre stuff, but they aren't needed with something like your Accugroove or Bergie.

If you are looking for something to fill a space, do you have a rackmount tuner? How about a power conditioner?

10. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have a tuner and a conditioner. Also an RBI, rack shelf, rack drawer, power amp, and soon to be a new preamp and a compressor. I have two spaces left so I though an eq and a BBE would work well.
    Any thoughts?

11. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    That's why I haven't puled the trigger yet. I'm not totally convinced I need one. My Bergie is pretty nice, just missing the really deep bottom as one would expect with a 12" cab. I really can't complain though. It sounds fantastic. I'm just being super picky.

12. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Leave a space for the poweramp to breathe?

13. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    This is a good point. Should I pick up a vent space (which I really dont want to do) or could I use a funk logic false cover (that will not allow the air to circulate through the front as much)? Then this leaves me with the predicament of having one space left - any suggestions?

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Leave it exactly as it is. You don't need to cover one open space.

15. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    Yeah I was wondering about that sonic stomp pedal...i have the 482i running between the pre and power amp sections of my Ampeg SVT CLassic.... Does that sonic stomp pedal pretty much do the same thing or sound the same if run in a pedal board set-up? Or are you better off to just leave as is...?